I have been breast feeding now for 4 months. It seems my milk supply isn't what it used to be. How can i increase it?

ninawiseman87

Asked by ninawiseman87 at 2:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sleap on softer bed
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:37 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Why don't you reask the question with some info about what makes you think you don't have enough milk. Is your baby not growing?

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Pump every 15 minutes to get it flowing again. Do you use any creams to keep them moist and protected? I also had to keep pads over them. Not just so they wouldn't leak, but it seemed to keep them moist too.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 3:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Why do you think your supply has dropped? If it is because you don't feel engorged anymore that is competely normal for your supply to level off and not get engorged anymore anywhere from around 2-4 months. If it is because you don't pump as much that is normal too. If it is because baby is nursing more often that is normal during a growth spurt which could easily be happening around 4 months old. More info would help.

Mother'shelpers softer pillows softer beds what the hell does that have to do with nursing?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Brewer's YEast. Take three times what the package says. not jokingh, that is the BESt thing to do. i overdid it and took six time the amount one day(thought if a little was good a lot was better) and ended up having to keep my dd on the boob and when she was full, constantly pump. I ended up making over 80 ounces in one day! LOL And dd was only a week old at the time!
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 8:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Ditto to all the other posters and in addition, make SURE youre not taking any hormonal birth control such as an IUD with hormones or the mini pill. They can tell you all day long that it doesnt effect milk supply but it does for some people and the problem is that you dont know until its gone. My supply began diminishing at 3 1 /2 mos and by 4, it was gone. I did everything I knew to do and I had been taking micronor for birth control. Them my sister in law did the same thing. We never knew until I put two and two together and she had to stop breast feeding at 4 mos too. Just keep the hormones out of your system. Make sure you use condoms though because BF is not a reliable form of BC. Good luck
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:50 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• When your milk first comes in, you become engorged and are really full and heavy. After several months, your body gets the hang of it and stops over producing. If your baby is growing well and satisfied at every feeding, then you're not having trouble with your supply, you're just not feeling as full as you did in the beginning.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009