second time breastfeeding but not a lot of milk

So I breastfeed my son for 10 and half months about two years ago and had so much milk that pumping and storing it was no problem.But now with my daughter I bearly have any milk saved up and i'm going back to school next week.I Pump on both sides and barely make 4oz. I eat and drink plenty of water I guess she dosen't need as much as my son did.Any advice........

ohmama713

Asked by ohmama713 at 2:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sleep with softer pillows?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Being able to pump 4 ounces is pretty good. Maybe you can't pump as much because you are busier and under more stress now? The amount you need to leave depends on the length of time you are gone, the age of your baby, and if your baby is eating solids.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Supply and demand...the more you nurse the more you make. Try nursing as much as possible.

ALSO, try pumping on one side while you nurse on the other, then you're not losing the milk during letdown and can pump more efficiently. Also remember a pump is NOT a baby and it just simply cannot "suckle" as efficiently so you may need a) a different pump b) more TIME to pump or DIFFERENT times to pump c) some herbal supplements like fenugreek to give your supply a little boost.

NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Pump one side while nursing the other is great advice and also you need to pump more often if you need a stash built up in a certain amount of time. Getting 4 ounces is not bad, but you need to do it more often. How much she will need depends on how old she is and how long you will be gone and also every baby is different.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• pump earley in the morning,also pump a little befor u feed her
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:46 AM on Aug. 20, 2009