How can you stop a baby from spitting up?

My son spits up with almost every bottle. I'm not sure why... The doctors thought I was over feeding him so I even started to feed him less just more often. Didn't help. It's just hard have to change him multi times a day and bathing him along with myself. Laundry is CRAZY!!! lol

BrodysMama417

Asked by BrodysMama417 at 2:34 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• GailllAZ...how about actually answering her question and stop the crap. You're one who gives breastfeeding moms a bad rep with your militant attitude.

OP...some babies are spitters. that's all there is to it. Burp after every couple of ounces, keep him upright for a while, etc...just as explained by the others who are trying to actually help you. If' it's only 1/2 an ounce or so he's spitting, it's nothing to worry about. If he's spitting over an ounce every time, then it's time to cut back.

If he's fussy during feedings, right after feedings, as he's spitting up...then there's a chance it's reflux but I would think that would have been checked by the pediatrician by now. There is such a thing as "silent reflux" and if he's spitting that much (needing changed and bathed) then that might be a possibility. (and if that's the case, then going back to breastfeeding won't help that either)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• try burping him after a few oz, it may be that he is spitting up with the gas bubbles coming up
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 2:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You could bring your milk back in and breastfeed - less spit up, doesn't smell as bad, doesn't stain.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• burp him on every 2 oz and make sure you get a burp from him, also after he is done eating keep him upright for 45 minutes. it will allow his belly to settle and will help keep the formula down. Also you may want to ask his doctor if you can switch his formula to enfamil gentalease for fussiness and gas. I had the same problem with my DD and that formula was great she still spit up but it was very little. GL i was in the same boat as you it will get better and your lanudry will slow down soon :~)
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Even if he's not necessarily fussy during or right after feedings, it could still be reflux. My middle son and my 9 month old had/have it and take zantac.

Answer by missanc at 8:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My youngest son had reflux had he was exclusively BF. My pedi tried to tell me to pump my milk and put it in a bottle with cereal but I refused because he was only a month old. We did some other things on our own and he improved dramatically. We propped the head of his crib up with a telephone book. After feeding him, I would put him in his bouncy chair or car seat for about 30 minutes, and I didn't put him on his tummy for about 45 minutes-1 hour after feeding him. After trying these things for a weekend, he went from spitting up 8 times a day, to spitting up 3-4 times a day. Also, you can take him to a chiropractor. I didn't know about this at the time, but a chiro can gently adjust your baby and get rid of the reflux WITHOUT medication.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Oh, my son wasn't fussy either, he just spit up all the time and the pedi said it was reflux.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:12 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• give him "gripe water"
    willsmomma4ever

Answer by willsmomma4ever at 9:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Have you tried different formula or different bottles? When my milk didn't come in with my son I had to do formula. he started spitting up alot so we aswitched to the dr brown's bottle and that seemed to help. I have just heard of switching formula to help.

In GailllAZ, relaction is always an option. So if it is your wish to do so, I encourage you!

Good luck! I remember those days, it isn't fun. I constantly had a burp cloth over my son, so it wouldn't go on his clothes. Silly, uh.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• There are moms who relactate when their babies have digestive problems. They didn't know formula causes digestive problems and they may not know they can relactate. Why wouldn't a mom whose baby is having problems want to do so?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2009