Do you ever use "Reverse Psychology" with people to get your way or point across?

Not just on cafemom
but in life with your kids, parents, SO's, husbands, brothers, sisters, friends, or neighbors

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I used to use it with my mother who was nothing but a creep, sad to say. She just KNEW it all and I could never do anything at all good in her eyes even though I was doing most things well. But even as an adult she would nitpick about anything she could find, my parenting, not answering my phone when she would call (I work at home and don't answer the phone during my working hours).

In the midst of some of our heated arguments I would use the same cr*p she used on me when I was trying to tell her something that she refused to see. "Oh....uh, huh.... Okay, Sorry that you feel that way...." etc. I just kept my tone of voice calm and it used to pi$$ her off so bad. She was expecting me to get hostile and out of control so she could tell others that I "sick" and had mental illness and was unstable etc.

Phew, glad to have her out of my life. I miss having parents but not them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• lol i got a lot of practice! here
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 4:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Sometimes, but what I usually do is ask questions. I try to make them think about things. Like potty training. I asked her who wears underwear and why and what they have to do to wear underwear. Then, I asked her what she wanted to do and how she could accomplish that. It works with men too.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 5:34 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• not really RP, but more sarcasm. I cant help my sarcasm. I try, but it always comes out that way...LOL. Sometimes I tell my mother to be somewhere an hour before it actually starts to prevent her from being really late. Shes going to be late no matter what but HOW late is the key. So I lie to her. I hate people who lie but I have to do something to keep her from ruining everything I do. Right? Thats not exactly the same thing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2009