ok this is abreastfeeding question

my daughter was born 6 weeks early and was int he nicu andstarted on abottle bc my milk handt come in yet now shes where i canbreastfeed her and sometimes she does okay but alot of the time when itry to breastfeed her she screams her head off and i really want to breastfeed her and my milk isin anyone have anyadvice

gizmom529

Asked by gizmom529 at 4:37 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not for everyone! You'll be fine with formula. There are plenty of people who medically just can't BF. Don't force it on her if she doesn't want it. My cousin's twins were 3 months premature and obviously she didn't get to BF. With her first, her nipples bled and cracked, and her latest child, she just chose not to.

If you really want to use breast milk, try pumping as often as possible and just use a bottle. The more you pump, the more your body will supply and maybe she'll respond better to it.

It's your choice, but I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 5:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I agree 100% with the first answer. Pumping is always an option if you can't get her to latch, but still want to BF. Good luck hun!
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 6:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The vessel in which the nourishment is delivered doesn't matter. Pump and put it in a bottle. I know someone who pumped for a full year, her daughter never had any formula. So...it can work. It's tougher, but if the baby is fighting latching is it really worth making her miserable? No. So pump it into a bottle.

The more she fights it, the more frustrated you're likely to get and she will pick up on that. Just do what is necessary to get nourishment into her. It's more important that she's fed, rather than how it's delivered to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Keep putting her to breast. You didn't say how old she was to it is kind of hard to give advice. You said she only does this sometimes. When does she do this? When held in a certain position, nursing on a particular side, certain time of day? PM me if you like and I will try to help, but without a little more information it is kind of hard to tell what could be going on. Ignore those who say just give formula. If you really want to nurse then stick with it. My son couldn't latch due to an undiagnosed tongue tie so for 3 weeks he got pumped milk and I tried to get him to the breast. Once the tongue tie was diagnosed and clipped I had to teach him to latch. It took a few weeks, but it eventually worked and he nursed until he was 18 months old. Nursing is not always easy at first, but IMO it is well worth it in the end.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You could call for a meeting with a lactation specialist. The hospital where I delivered has them on staff that are willing to do home visits, or La Leche League.

Answer by missanc at 8:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Ahhh ignore those first few responses!!! Obviously these ladies are not breastfeeders and part of the problem in the failure rate of breastfeeding.

Just because she is refusing the breast part of the time does not mean you should give up breastfeeding. As a PP asked when does she normally have this difficulty or when is she more apt to breastfeed without a problem? Usually when getting a baby back to the breast it is best to breastfeed before the child is in the pangs of hunger, while their sleepy or in the bathtub. She sounds like she is doing great!! You both will overcome this hurdle and have a wonderful breastfeeding relationship! Congrats on your little one and your valiant efforts with breastfeeding BTW!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Check out this article for more help. You can do it!http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Why does she have to ignore the "first few" answers? Only one suggested going to formula! The others had suggestions to keep the baby on breastmilk!

She is doing great, and she can be just as successful at pumping if the baby is refusing to latch! Geez. Why stress about it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• if you dont have a pump, you can just squeeze your boob into the bottle. i know, it sounds wierd, but thats what i did the first few days when i didnt have a pump, and it worked for me. lol i swear, i felt like a cow, literally. lol
    Good Luck. i thought all the sugggestions you were given are great ones. bottle, or breast. either way, shes eating, and its not like formula is horrible, if it was so horrible, it wouldnt be sold off shelves or recommended by doctors when they dont latch on. =P
    and yes, i was recommended by one with my second child. =D if she hasnt eaten, and wont eat, id go to formula, because she does NEED to eat. no point in waiting more than a day to get her to latch on. GL
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 9:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• She may be frustrated that the milk is slow to flow at the beginning and may not want to work at it. If you can get your milk to letdown with a pump or ,manually, she may be happier until she gets used to working at it.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 9:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2009