Advice On Circumsizing a two year old!!

I have a 2 yr old son that i been wanting to get circumseized but im jus afraid becuz i was told they put toddlers asleep for this procedure! i tried getting it done as soon as he was born bcuz i was told my insurance would cover it but after a week from recovering i took him to get the procedure done & my doc says i gota pay!!! I was only 16 at the time (yes im a young mother)& couldnt aford the 300$ to do it right then and there. soo i ended up saving up for it month after month wen my son was around 7months was when i had enough money to do so. but even then the doctor told me he was tooo old n i would have to go to a specialist and it will be more!!!! & having a crappy insurance (MED-ICAL) i havent been able to find a good specialist!! so now he is two & i just really would like him to have the procedure done but still afraid ughh what should i do how does the procedure work for toddlers his age??? anyone knows??

TysMommaG

Asked by TysMommaG at 5:03 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• u should of had it done and gotten a bill later,/sorry!-prayers go to a good hospital!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 5:10 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I think they can get circumsized at any age. It's just easier when they're younger. I'd do it as soon as possible so he's not traumatized.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 5:15 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• It's now a surgical procedure where he will have to be put under general anesthesia. Now, the risk of infection, etc, from the circumcision also carries the risks that come with anesthesia.

I had one son have general anesthesia for eye surgery, and one for an MRI (both necessary procedures). While I personally am for circumcisions, I honestly don't know that I would do it for such an elective procedure.

Good luck. Find a good pediatric urologist and make sure you trust the anesthesiologist.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:28 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Since you didn't have it done at birth I personally wouldn't take the risk of putting him under general anesthesia for a cosmetic surgery. The actual procedure is the same, but they are completely put to sleep (thus the increased cost) which carries many risks and the risk of infection and problems is slightly increased due to them being able to play with it while it is healing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Its just like any other procedure where they have to be under general anesthesia. It really just depends on how badly you want it done and how much you feel the benefits outweigh the risks. If youve saved up enough money, then go have a consultation with the doc that does it. I think a pp mentioned a pediatric urologist and see what all involved. Then make an informed decision. No matter what you decide, at least you can say you know. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• They're going to put him to sleep. This is going to be very expensive, mama. It's also much riskier now. I'm not trying to sway you either way, but have you thought about not doing it? Just leaving him intact? Use the MediCal to be referred to a pediatric urologist, and outweigh the benefits vs. risks with him/her. If you decide it's too expensive, or not worth the risks, the urologist will also be able to teach you how to clean an intact penis, and how to teach your son to do it as well.

GL to you no matter what decision you make!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2009