Do pregnant women get to know if their baby will be born with Autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Fragile X Syndrome is NOT autism. Fragile X Syndrome IS a Pervasive Developmental Disorder. All Autism Spectrum Disorders are Pervasive Developmental Disorders, but not all Pervasive Developmental Disorders are Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Get your facts straight, people!

And to the OP - No, there is no bloodtest or other labwork that can be done prenatally to determine whether or not a child will be born on the Autism Spectrum. Autism Spectrum Disorders are diagnosed based on observed behvaiors (or lack of behaviors) only.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• They do an autism test in you blood work in the begining of your pregnancy. I refused mine because I just didn't want to know. I feel like what's the difference, I'm not going to get rid of my baby over autism and I certainly don't want to stress out the entire time I'm pregnant because of it! You when my sister-in-law was pregant they told hr he son had it. They told him they found crystilization on his brain and he was mentally retarted. She stressed the whole time and you wanna know something? He was born absolutely perfectly fine. Noautism...nothing on his brain, he was fine! He is now 4 and is still fine! Good luck
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 7:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• THERE IS NO blood test that can determine autism in an unborn baby.....or a born baby for that matter.....

geesh...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• No they do not test for autism you cant find it in blood work it is something that can't be diagnosed until the baby gets older and they miss milstones because children with autism look fine my nephew has it and they didnt find out until he was four.. they do test for down syndrome among other things but not autism!!!!
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    lizzysmom83

Answer by lizzysmom83 at 8:12 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Oh wow, there is no test for autism until the child is at least 3 to 4 years old. The only way autism is diagnosed is though a list of milestones that a child is or is not meeting.

There is no way to know before that.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• No blood test can tell you if your child has AS, there is no such thing, AS is developmental issues and they are DXed after missed milestones and several evaluations.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• signs of autism don't usually become noticable, and this is at the earliest, is 18mo. that is the very earliest. From what i know in Genetic, there are studies being done to determine if it can be found on a chromosome, but that may not come around for a while. That is just a study i read about so i don't know all of the facts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• They can do test between 11-14 weeks...it must be requested! They do blood work and an ultrasound. They can only tell you if you child carries certain markers associated with Autism. I have known 2 women though that they said had these markers and their babies were fine! I know this because I have the paper work on it that my doctor gave me to read over and sign if I choose to have this done! They just do not do it voluntary and it is not 100%.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• No, even though Autism has marked symptoms no one has come up with a test like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have never heard of a prenatal test for autism. The only tests I know of are for things like Downs, spina bifida, and other genetic abnormalities.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2009