How to explain Heaven to an 11 & 8 year old?!(no bashing please)

My mother passed away on Feb 21, 2008. It was unexpected and totally tragic for myself and my whole family. She died of sepsis (infection of the blood)
My children are having a hard time dealing with her being gone. I am catholic and I try to explain it to them they way I have always be told things. They just don't seem to be getting it or want to know more questions about heaven and their grandmother then I can answer or have the answers for.
How can I explain why "Mimi" left and why god took her when I'm having issues myself w/God since loosing my mom. How can I explain to them that he is good when I am so mad at him and can't get past him taking mom? Yes I know he only takes the good but my heart is aching just as much as it was a year ago when I spent every waking moment with her in her ICU bed. I've lost my best friend and mother. How can I move on?

fireangel0310

Asked by fireangel0310 at 8:28 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you are religious. They should already know about heaven. IMO

Answer by louise2 at 8:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• They know about heaven (they are not baptized) but they have been asking more and more questions about it since loosing my mother. Like "Are there video games up there?" I know there isn't but how do I make them understand that heaven is a great place and their grandmother is ok? They want to know how her body can be in the ground and up in heaven at the same time?
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 8:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Say your soul leaves your body and goes to heaven. So grandmas soul is in heaven.

Just explain to them what you know about heaven. And leave it at that.

Answer by louise2 at 8:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Read Revelation chapters 21 and 22
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 8:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'm so sorry your mom passed. I tell my son that heaven is a beautiful place filled with peace and love, where everyone and everything is good. There is no pain there and that God who created us and loves us lives there with his son Jesus who died for us. I tell him someday we'll go there and live forever. If he asks a question about heaven and I don't know the answer I just say "I don't know" and that someday we'll see.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Don't Catholics believe you die and wait for Christ to return? That may be easier for them to understand. People have made up so many stories about heaven, angels, and the afterlife in an attempt to make others feel better that most of us now believe the stories are true or the Word of God.

Don't let anyone tell you that God doesn't give us more than we can handle. God did not kill your mother as some kind of test for you.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:46 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Ok, this is from a non christian pov.

I liken "heaven" to a meadow. Where there is beautiful grass and trees and a light breeze and sunshine. Where there is quiet and peace and you can read a book without being disturbed. Where the rest of your family is there chit-chatting with you.

Its just calm. No distractions, no arguing and all the other mortal issues and emotions we deal with here.

Maybe something like that will help them?
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You are really asking 2 questions. We can't tell you how to move on & heal yourself, but don't worry, you will figure it out. How to explain heaven to children? You might find the writings of theologians useful. They aren't written for children so you will have to do the research, then explain what you read to them. Since you are Catholic, you have many resources available to you, church leaders have been writing on the subject for many centuries. You will find that they didn't all say the same things, so reading many of them is best. If your priest is a scholarly man he might be able to help you find applicable writings. If not search for books on Catholic theology or philosophy. Good luck & I am sorry for your loss.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• First I am sorry for your loss, and for theirs as well. It may not be that your kids don't "get it" but that they need to have more time. Sometimes when we talk about a loved one going to heaven we convey that we shouldn't be sad because they are better off. Well yes a person in heaven is better off and in time that hope of being reunited is a great comfort. But it still hurts, and that is fine. Allow yourself and your kids to be sad, to miss some one so dear, and even to be angry at God. God is a great big God and He already knows how we feel. He is also a loving and compassionate God, He's not going to stop loving us when we get angry with Him. So express those feelings to Him, to eachother, to people who will really listen and care.

I lost my dad 4 years ago. So if you would like to talk, I would be happy to listen. I am a Christian but not Catholic. I can offer an understanding ear, and I will pray for you.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Thank you everyone for your answers. There is so much running through my head. I've gotten a few ideas to try with my children.. I guess my grieving part is for another day on another section.:)
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 21, 2009