how do I REALLY get rid of a flea infestation? Is there any one thing that works better than others? I've never had this problem before and its getting out of hand!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pets

• You gotta bomb your place-really that is the only way. Clean your pets with treatments and get to bombing it. Quick, bc those suckers live and reproduce quick!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• oh its horrible. we went on vacation for 7 days and had a friend cat-sit. when we left, no fleas. when we got back, infested! Needless to say this friend won't be kittie-sitting ever again. (yes she has cats too...lots of them). Is there any one "bomb" that works better? I don't want to do it and have to do it again because I bought a crappy product.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Agreed. If they're that bad, bomb the house (which is a MAJOR pain in the @$$). Cover up EVERYTHING with blankets/sheets that you possibly can - everything else will have to be cleaned once you get home - get everyone out (inculding ALL pets - even fish) fot the day, and bomb it.

If possible, while you're out, give your dogs/cats flea baths so you don't just reinfest upon arrival home. Then treat them with a monthly topical/oral flea control - like Advantage or Frontline. If you're using the topical kind, it's best to wait a day or two after their bath to apply it. And the generics you find at retail stores don't work worth a damn, FYI.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• ugh...thank you. Do I need to cover even the TV and whatnot? seriously I've never had to deal with this...even as a little girl I don't remember my parents doing this. not at all what I wanted to do today!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You're also going to have to turn the sofa, chairs, mattress'....anything, cuz the little buggers will hide under the edge of stuff. Vacuum EVERYTHING....you'll want to spray the underside of things as well. I'd also add taking garlic for you and the family....either in capsule form...or just start eating more of it. They can live on people too, oh yeah...and wash all your clothes that have been out where the cats may have lain.
    I know it sounds like a pain in the butt, but it's worth it. I lived once where we moved in and the house didn't really have them...but the yard did. Everyone that walked across the grass and into the house would bring them in. So you may want to treat the yard as well, check with someone at your local garden center for the best stuff to use.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If you aren't able to get the cats to a groomer for a flea bath, you could wash them at home with just normal Dawn dish soap.

We had an infestation not long ago, but I wasn't able to bomb because I was pregnant. It was a pain in the butt, but what worked for us was washing the animals every other day, vaccuming everyday with a flea powder, and spraying the furniture every other day. For the most part, that took care of the eggs and you can make a solution of half Dawn, half water and leave it under a warm nightlight or lamp over night to catch the adult fleas. The heat from the lamp will attract them and then they get stuck in the solution.
    MrsLittleFratto

Answer by MrsLittleFratto at 7:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'm a vet tech. If u bomb your house don't cover anything, if u cover it how is it supposed to get in there. Yes cover fish, and food items, toothbrushes. When u vacuum get rid of bag cuz they can crawl out of it. You don't have to bath the pets either. Get a capstar pill from vet, it's cheap. It will kill all fleas on your pet within 30min. No kidding! Then apply Frontline/Revolution on pets and keep it on year round or at least 6 mos. Cuz eggs will still b hatching for months. U can't kill them n the pupa stage. If there isn't a food source then they can't survive.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 1:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Safe and Natural options in flea control.... I don't like to use poison on my pets like Frontline and even the Capstar pill - they are all pesticides     .Diatomaceous Earth Powder and NuVET supplement will stop the fleas...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/2009/3/fleas-Diatomaceous-Earth-canine.htm

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 10:09 AM on Aug. 21, 2009