If your son were grown and you took him and his new wife out to dinner...

how would you take it if she said to you over dinner

"Oh, things are just great now. I had to fix him and that took some doing, but now things are just great."

Just curious. It happened to someone I know and she didn't really take it well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL, well I can see where it sounds bad, but, I have felt the same way about my hubby a time or two. But I was reffering to habits he had gainned since being out of his moms home. Like leaving toilet seat up, laundry on the floor, ect. I don't mean core values, his mom did a great job at those which is the "man" I feel in love with!
    Just remind your friend of that. The girlfriend would not be dating him if he wasn't already a great guy ( which the mom raised) the girlfriend could have meant adult habits like cursing too much or smoking, ect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• LOL --- I think ALL men need a little "fixing". I wouldn't take it so seriously. I tell ppl all the time how I finally got my husband 'trained' just like I want him... how it took YEARS of hard work, etc, etc, etc.

Lots (if not all) relationships have kinks that take time to work out..... I'd just interpret what she said as that they worked out all the kinks.

If HE wasn't offended by it, nobody else should be.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I would probably not say anything to her. I would talk to my son.Without his wife around.

Answer by louise2 at 9:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i also think its lol!!!! to funny.. i wouldnt be hurt or anything cause hes a grown man and im sure has some bad habits that needed a good fixin.. hey i told that to my MIL and she laugh and said "finally".. lol i say she might have been focasing on something else..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 9:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Everyone has bad habits that need "fixing." It isn't a direct reflection of the parent as each person develops thier personality and habits from ALL of thier surroundings, not just thier mom & dad.

I wouldn't be offended if my DIL said that to me. I would laugh and say "About time!"
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 9:23 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'd think....finally someone who can continue the work I put in...LOL

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't think anything of it. Most women joke about "training" their men.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I don't think anything negative was meant by the statement. It seems a tongue-in-cheek type statement that simply meant that he has stopped an annoying habit or somehow changed for the better. Actually, I don't usually say things like that to my MIL, but she does say them to me regarding how I have "changed" my husband. It just means that he loves me enough to try hard to be considerate or not annoy me (and vice versa) and it is obvious to his family how much he cares and has matured (not that I purposely set out to try to change him).
    JDsWifey

Answer by JDsWifey at 9:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My fiance's mom said "good at least someone got through to him!"

yeah we actually had that conversation before
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• It is just that so many women like to think they are smarter than their husbands and talk about how they have to fix them because only they know how. @@ I think both men and women sometimes need fixing. But I would just let it go. Who cares. If they are happy that is all that is important.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2009