Do you agree with this statement? I think it explains God better than most I've ever seen.

"God is compelled to conceal Himself in a measure from the natural world,for the divine illumination would blind the eyes of mortal man were it to shine upon him in full strength." L.S. Thornton

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i think its dumb and no it doesnt explain god. y? bc there is not god. i dont understand \y all u brain washed idiots dont see that.. if there were a god y are there starving kids? are are there ppl gettin ill all the time?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I think it's BS. I also think Jesus (the man)is a perfect example that one CAN be divine within themselves AND shine as bright as the sun.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Ok, you are entitled to your opinions. Thanks for your input.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Oh,and anon, if you'd like an explanation why there is still suffering, go to my new journal I just wrote. It explains why things happen.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I agree completely and scripture backs it up. If you take a look at the role of seraphim angels in the Bible you will see that they were created with six wings two of which to cover their faces. Even the angels can not withstand to see God in all of His glory. They cry out "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of Heavens Armies! The whole Earth is filled with His glory!" Isaiah 6:3 NLT
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• LOL! I think it's a cop-out and is akin to me saying...'I have a pink unicorn in my backyard...no, you can't see him, he's invisible 'cuz he's SOOO pink it would blind you! But trust me, he's there so if you would, please give me some money to help me feed him.'
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 9:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Furthermore, I would think a 'god' could very easily make himself a little less 'shiny' if he wanted/needed to so what's stopping the guy?
    mizkaye

• Thanks deedee, great scripture.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I think it's a pretty statement. I don't see any reality in it, but it's still pretty, and I can see how it would touch a believer.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I think it's a handy excuse believers use for why God never appears to people. He CAN"T because he's just so awesome his awesomeness would blind you and kill you. I like miskaye's analogy with the pink unicorn because it sums it up pretty much. Hard to disprove something if there is nothing visable to disprove is there?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2009