My teenager has very large breasts for her age, but shes very thin. How do I help her understand that one day, she will be appreciative of them? I just want her to love herself and not be so self conscious.

My dd is 15 and weighs about 115. Shes 5'5, so shes quite tall and thin. She has a beautiful figure and one that most women would KILL for. She, however doesnt see that when she looks at herself. She knows shes thin and is always trying to keep her weight down by keeping active and she doesnt monitor what she eats, so Im not worried about that, but her breasts are bigger than the average 15 yr old. Over the summer, I noticed that they kept getting bigger and bigger and I made a comment to her about needing a new bra. She said, I know, momma, they are HUGE and I hate it. Her boobs look like shes had implants. Thats how perky and round they are, but she hates it. This is genetic, I am sure. I had very large breasts but I was also heavy. I had a reduction in 06. I pray they dont get that big. I am guessing shes about a 34 D. Thats quite large for a young teenager. I need some moms who have been there. What can I say to her?

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 9:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've been in her shoes, still am. i'm 5'4" 117 lbs and I wear a 32 DD... when I was pregnant is was a 34 DDD! Anyhow, I can bet money that she will probably never be totally comfortable with her breasts. I know thats not what you want to hear but I struggle with my big boobs all the time. Finding a swim suit that will cover everything and keep them supported is almost impossible, I can't wear alot of the cute clothes other women can because my boobs will fall out. I have found ONE strapless bra that actually holds me up but I can't breath by the end of the night because it has to be hooked so tight or it will fall. Yes, women pay alot of money for boobs this size but alot of times those are the kind of women who don't mind flaunting them.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 9:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• tell her she will grow into them and they wont look so big then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I dont if she will grow into them, though. Shes pretty thin and her breasts have already grown past a C. Shes filled out a lot in her hips and thighs in the last year or so, but shes still very thin. Shes got curves on her for sure, but shes no where near being fat on any part of her body. In a swim suit, she looks like shes 18 and that terrifies me, of course. Right now, she doesnt have a hard time keeping them up because they are so perky, but I fear that with time and age, they will sag like the rest of us.....LOL.....Nesa....Do you ever think about getting a reduction because of your breasts being so much bigger than your body? Are they really heavy? Just curious, because I was really heavy and my boobs sagged from day 1. Hers arent like that but she still has the volume that I had. If she wants a reduction, at age 17, she can have one.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I was in the same boat as your daughter. I had the biggest boobs in school. I am 5'2 and in high school I was 100 pounds. I have had DD since 4th grade. I got made fun of all through middle school. I went to Catholic School for middle school and the kids were not so nice. Well I went to public school for high school. I got sexually harassed big time. I was so shy I never said anything. It is so horrible knowing guys are only talking to you because of your boobs and girls hating you because of your boobs. I used to try to hide them by wearing a jacket even on 100 degree days. My mom would always tell me how lucky I was to have a body like that. She didn't understand. Now at 25 I am comfortable with my boobs but I still don't really like them. I wish I could get a reduction. I don't think my mom could have told me anything to make me feel better. Sorry I don't have any real advice. I hope she starts to feel better about herself.
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I had a D cup when I was 14. I am 5 ft tall, and generally weigh about 105. By the time I was 16 I had DD's and weighed 95lbs. I appreciated my boobs, but also hated them. A lot of girls in high school have smaller breasts and they are considered "popular" in my experience (I just turned 20). So, I understand where she's coming from. Be sure to look out for her having back problems, my breasts kept growing, they were at DDD before I got pregnant and I am now 38 weeks and in a G cup. Its horrible. Tell her she's beautiful, and that it is something she will appreciate in a year or 2. But like I said, look for back pain or anything of that nature, simply because it could be a horomonal growth issue, that might have to result in reduction when she's older! Good Luck!
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 9:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i know how she feels like other post i was the biggest boob girl in school ( in 4th grade a boy told everyone i stuffed apples down my shirt ) which was not true and in hight school still the biggest and some girls hated me and guys loved me but i knew why they did but i wasent one to keep quiet and people knew me to stand up for myself so no one messed with me ( i was also 5 foot 105lbs ) and by 18 i had back pain so i went to a chiroprater who stated reason why i was in pain was due to big breast..if its doc recomended insurence will cover most in a reduction i did keep mine because i was proud of them. im 31 now and im still proud of them it takes a lil more to lift the "girls" up but i still like them and so does my dh. im still the biggest in our group of friends. she will learn how to handle them and people down side the cost of a good fitting bra and bathing suits i didnt really care for mine till i was 17.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Thanks Ashlie...that was very helpful. I will also likely talk to her doctor at her next sports physical. Since I had a reduction, I know whats involved and I am fine with her doing that as long as she knows what to expect. Likely, she will not be a good candidate until she is about 17 or 18. You know, I had someone tell me that once a girl begins to menstruate that puberty is basically over and they wont grow much more. That is SO not true. This child began developing at 9 and started her P at 11 1/2. She was 5 ft tall then and in the 6th grade. Since that time, she has grown 5 inches taller and went from a size 14 girls to a size 3 juniors and grown at least 3 sizes in the bust. I thought by the time she turned 14, she would for SURE be done growing, but she grew another inch this last year and her breasts went up another size. Her chiro said that she would grow until she was 17...sigh!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i will also add my dd age 12 is starting to get round perky boobs ( god help me ) so your not alone and my dd has said " i hope i dont get big boobs like you, i dont want my back to hurt all the time like yours" so i want you to know your not alone im not there just yet but i will be dealing with it soon enough ( thought my dh was gonna faint when he saw her in a bathing suit this summer he yelled when the he** did this happen!! shes 12! ) so your not alone and i will be in the same boat, ** hugs**
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• god u guys r scaring me!...lol my family has big boobs and im fairly big my self..my dd is only 4 but she keeps saying she wants big boobs like me..lol i told her no way b/c by the lookd of things shes going to have my body wick is curvey and her daddys height wich is 6'0 icant imaging her with big boobs...i dont wanna i be beating the boys off at 12 yrs old..lol
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My DD is 15 and has 38DD. I know just how you feel mamma. My daughter is also super tall, so she feels odd about both of these things. And the boys at school....well lets just say that they don't notice anything about 'boob' level. If she feels self-conscious about them, why not try a minimizer bra maybe? Helps my DD a lot and provides proper support, which they will definitely need over time. Best of luck to you and yours. Above all though....I would really super emphasize to her that we are SO much more than an accummulation of our body parts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009