Do you agree with this statement? Are we seeing it happen now?

"The philosophy of the classroom of one generation will be the philosophy of the Government of the next generation." Abraham Lincoln

stvmen88

Asked by stvmen88 at 9:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Unfortunately, yeah... this is probably pretty accurate.... If you think we have idiots in govt now... just give it 20 or 30 yrs....

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Wow, that's the first time I've read that statement. You know what? Yeah, I think that's really true. Look at our past presidents -

Regan was a product of the classrooms of the 30's and 40's.
    So was George Sr.
    Clinton was a man of the 50's and 60's.
    So was George Jr.
    and now, Obama is a product of the 60's and 70's . . .

If you look at what was happening at the time these men were in school/college, their style of politics now is absolutely a direct reflection of the time they were in school.

Great post, stvmen!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Thank you jenni! And, you're right, it's more true than any of us imagine.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Yeah, that's totally true. Fortunately, I have a lot of faith in my 80's generation. I think we have the potential to be some of the most compassionate leaders yet.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Yup. It is kind of like saying today's students are tomorrow's leaders. So obviously the things today's students are learning will be the influence of tomorrow's leaders
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Jenn wow I never saw that before.. great observation. wow hmm the 60's and 70's and is it ironic there is on the news stuff about WoodStock lately???

OP Yes I agree.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• It is never that cut & dry, but yes, what children are taught influences their beliefs as adults (obviously). However, there are always reactionists, conservatives, & those who find new paths not taught to them. So I would amend it to say - The philosophy of the classroom of one generation will influence the philosophy of the Government of the next generation -  if I were stating that idea. It is always happening, so & always being fought. The most good comes when people take the best from what they were taught, what was being done before their time & their own original ideas to make new philosophies.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• its been going on for some time it is getting worse though and we will probably see the fruit of this statement with this administration and dopey prez

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Yeah, I agree too : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• pretty much yes.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009