How to clean a mattress? My son is potty training

So we are potty training and my son had an accident last night. I didn't think it was a big deal until I realized my wonderful DH didn't put the waterproof cover on. I'm not sure how to clean a mattress and make sure it doesn't smell. Anyone know?

momof2cuteboys

Asked by momof2cuteboys at 9:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• lysol spray the crap out of it and get a towel and rub it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• baking soda. make a paste and smear it on - let it dry and then vacuum it up.

vinegar works too to kill the bacteria.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• SteamVac with a upholstery attachment.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Check in the aisle that sells steam machines, you should find something that is made for that. Oxyclean works well too.

Maybe instead of a single waterproof sheet, why not try a total mattress plastic cover. We have two boys that just went through that....it saved a lot of really nasty stains.

I also wouldn't use lysol on something that would be in close contact with skin. If it got damp or just the heat from a body could transfer the stuff onto the skin.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I use an enzyme product from the pet store (yes, the pet store!) and it worked great. It's called Nature's Miracle and it works on pretty much any organic stain (oil, urine, feces, blood, vomit, etc.).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I would clean it as best as I could, use an enzyme cleaner like the one mentioned above, and drag the mattress outside and let it lay in the sunlight for a few hours...

The sun is really great to take stains out of stuff and remove smells.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 21, 2009