cat wont use litter box now! hes 2yrs old

i have our laundry room blocked with a baby gate with our dogs back there,one dog was raised with our 2 cats(one cat dies in nov.) and the other dog is a puppy ( a little dog)whos not getting any bigger.well the cat litter box is back ther on a shelf up high,the cat can jump on the washer to get to it.but lately if we leve him in all night he will poop on any rug.not on the floor a rug.our cat was raised with our englsh bulldog,could he not be using it becouse of the other dog back there?he;s used it befor

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 9:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pets

• try changing the TYPE of litter you get. sometimes cats get finicky after a while and decide they don't want that litter anymore. if that doesn't help, take him in for an exam at the vet's. cats can't talk, so by going potty outside the litter box they are telling you something is wrong or upsetting them. if his litter box has always been in that same spot and all of a sudden he's pooping somewhere else, he's telling you something's up. if the litter box has NOT always been there or something has changed with his litter box situation, change it back! good luck!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I was told by humane society to use the pine attraction litter to draw the cat to the box. I also had heard of some attraction stuff the Lincoln county humane society sprinkled to get difficult cats to use a litter box. It is frustrating I know. I would ask them since they get strays in that have never used boxes and seem successful at training them.
    jecmom

Answer by jecmom at 10:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• it could be he is letting you know he is not happy about the other dog.
    dragonbabe

Answer by dragonbabe at 10:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Cats also like to have multiple places to potty, the "rule" is 1 cat, 2 litter boxes, 2 cats, 3 litter boxes and so on. Maybe he is bored with the old spot.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'm a vet tech and it's sounds like it is a behavior problem. Don't change his litter, cats don't like change, u may create a bigger problem. Maybe the pup is harassing him more when he sneaks in at night. I would put it away from the dogs.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 1:23 AM on Aug. 21, 2009