Can I relactate or am I too late?

My son has been off the breast for around 2 months... is there any way to bring my milk back now? I'm willing to try almost anything. Please let me know if you've had experience with this or know any sources that could help me or bump if you don't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if ur on birth control NO. bc will dry u up. but u can get a breast pump and keep try eventually it can bring it back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• OP here. I breastfed at first and I'm still on breastfeeding safe bc...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• its really really hard to bring back breastmilk if u alrealy let it dry up I tryed many thing don't really help.... I'm sorry I hope u find something but I think its too late
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 10:03 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Call a certified lactation consultant in your area.

Answer by missanc at 10:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If you want to send me a PM I can send u a list of information about relactation. It is too large to put in the answer section. It is completely possible to relactate especially with just a 2 month lapse. The BC may have to be discontinued for a bit to help in relactation because even BF friendly BC can cause a drop in production. Congratulations on considering relactation.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Just remember it wont happen overnight, but if you keep at it you will relactate. Great decision!  Follow missanc & mama I's advice & call your local LLL.  Start latching your son immediately, which may be a retraining for both of you, and let him just use you as a pacifier.  This will stimulate milk production the best.  Kellymom.com, I'm sure will have some great info on it.  Most importantly, rally for support.  I'm so happy for you!  I know you can do it!

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Also join the Breast Feeding Mom's group here on CM (if you're not a member already). There is tons of information for relactation, and lots of mommies who are willing to help!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• There are also drugs that can help. I took reglan, it had some unsavory side efffects but they only lasted the 4 days i took it. Motilium is best for increasing supply, i took that too. no side effects for me but it was difficult to get. i had to have it made and insurance didnt cover it. i think one months supply was $55, but it doubled my supply, and i was able to keep it up without the meds.

Dont give up! I had a hell of a time breastfeeding, but where theres a will theres a way.It's hard but its worth it. You CAN do it!
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Get a supplemental nursing system (SNS) and start using it to feed the formula you are currently giving in a bottle. The SNS attaches a little tube to your breast and they latch on just like they would nursing only they get some formula/pumped milk through the tube to feed them. This will help him learn to latch again and stimulate your breasts to make more milk. Take fenugreek or talk to your doctor about prescriptions. DO NOT feed from a bottle anymore. If you must feed without the SNS then do it with a spoon or dropper. As to the first poster not all birth control dries you up and not all women dry up on the birth control. It will take some time and patience, but it is completely possible. I know a woman who adopted and with the SNS and prescriptions she managed to lactate enough to give her child 50% breastmilk until she was 15 months old!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009