Amniocentesis?

So I went to the dr. this past Tuesdayand she was telling me that o the next visit they would check for down syndrome, etc...that's where they do the amniocentesis right? The way they were talking, it was something they were going to do. I don't HAVE to do that do I? I DO NOT want it done. For one thing I don't want them to say somethings wrong with the baby bc I'll be upset an stressed out the whole time and I've reado n here about women whose dr's say that and then their baby comes out just fine....and the second reason I don't want it done is bc they are NOT sticking a needle in my abdomen and uterus...that sounds REALLY painful...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You do not have to have an amnio done if you do not want to. My Doctor gave me the option of first doing a blood test and if anything came up abnormal then they would give me an amnio if I wanted but they did not recommend it. I refused the blood test by doing that I refused the aminio. Amnio's can be very dangerous, if they keep pushing you to get one done, switch doctors. Is there any family history or anything that is making them want you to get this done?

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:55 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Your doctor is probably referring to the Alpha Feta Protein blood test or AFP. It screens risk for Downs Syndrome, Trisomy and Spina Bifida. It is usually done along with a level 2 ultrasound. Even with this test they cannot tell you 100% if your baby will actually have any of those. The only thing that can tell you 100% if your baby will have a chromosomal problem is an amnio which you do not have to have. Most women I know choose to have the AFP and the Level 2 ultrasound first and if that shows something abnormal then they might opt to have an amnio.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 9:55 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'm using the same dr I used with my DD 4 yrs ago and I remember my mom told me not to let them do the amniocentesis bc it can rupture the sac or cause other problems so when the dr was talking about it Tuesday I remembered that after we left and got a little freaked out. There's not ANY types of problems in mine or my SO's family history so hopefully they wont make me do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• There are a couple of tests that they use to look for things like Downs. One is a simple ultrasound where they look at the skin on the neck of the baby. No biggie for you or baby.

Next step would be a blood test. I personally had the sequential test (it is 2 different tests about 4 weeks apart). The first one is just a finger prick and the second one is just a small vial. Again now big deal.

Now the amnio is scary, is not comfortable but really not that bad. For the best info on amnio's, how they are done and how safe they are go to the March of Dimes website. Inform yourself so you can make the best decision.

I had an amnio with one of my pregnancies because our ultrasounds showed that she had major heart defects and we needed to know what else was going on. This was our second child with CHD's. With this pregnancy we did the sequental tests and hold off on the amnio unless it was needed. Thankfully it wasn't!
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 10:00 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Your doctor would have infromed you if she was talking Amnio-thats a secondary test that you can opt to take if your AFP test comes back with any abnormalities- And u dont HAVE to take the AFP test either- its all done by choice, I personally didnt take it, because no matter what the answer, I would have kept the baby.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:00 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• cont.... The major reason for us to have the testing was so that we could have proper medical care of our child at birth. Our first CHD baby died because he didn't get the proper care at the tiny hospital we had him at.
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 10:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• no they dont do that to test for downs..They asked my sis if she wanted them to test her baby for downs and they did they told her everything looked good BUT my niece downs!! so any test, that test for downs is bs!! an aminio can kill ur baby btw. so in my opinion i wouldnt get one. hell they wanted me to turn my baby so i can push her out i wouldnt do that either!!! Anyways it doesnt matter if ur child is born with downs theres nothing wrong with a child that has downs some just need a lil more help with things and if ur not on medicaid the baby gets it no matter what. also u get an ssi check to help out.. dont worry about it.. the baby is ur no matter what!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My doctor never even asked. Iguess his office just doesn't do it? Which is good. Its unnecessary and wrong half the time.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• From my understanding the tests are optional-- and if you do not want them done I would speak up and say so.
    I did have Amnio-- due to my age, and I had lost a baby during the previous pregnancy so I wanted to make sure this one was healthy (even though we would have kept it and loved it regardless). My doctor was not supportive and did not undertand my reasoning.
    I went to a specialist for mine. I was afraid of the needle and it hurting, but honestly they do numb the skin first and it was not so bad. They also use the ultrasound and watch where the baby is, and where the needle is (you can see all of it on the ultrasound screen).
    I did have to go back and have it done a 2nd time, as the 1st they could not get thru and did not want to try too many times. I did have a small bruise on my skin from it, but nothing major.
    You need to do what you feel is best- if you don't want the tests let them know.
    Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have already talked with my doc about that test. I do not want it as I would love that baby regardless of whether or not it had DS. It is your choice and don't feel pressure from your doc to have it done either!
    newlifewith3

Answer by newlifewith3 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2009