Do you think its ok to ask my doctor to stip my membrains today... Im 39 weeks?

I don't want him here too early, I don't want to be selfish about this- From my understandings, it doesnt do anything to your body, that your body isn't already ready for...Am I correct?
Im 4 CM 80% as of last week...feel a little pressure today, and having contractions off and on....whats your opnion?
N how bad does it hurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Go ahead an ask but im sure your OB will suggest it when he checks you anyways. It doesnt hurt that bad! Good luck!
    KaireasMommy

Answer by KaireasMommy at 10:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If your that far along and are 4 cm and 80% why not just wait? I was 4cm and 100% and the dr induced me.. I had a wonderful labor and delivery.. but I regret not letting my body do it naturally.. I was induced at 39w5d.. Your body is close to labor.. just let it do it naturally.. I wish I would have!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• go ahead!! 39 weeks is fine for baby to come. Stripping the membranes works sometimes and not others.. it just depends on your body. I had mine done 3 times and it didn't put me in labor. And if ur OB objects then he probably has a good reason.. right?
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• ASK! all they can do is say OK or No. At this stage most will say yes. But you may also want to ask about other natural things you can do to help things move along.
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 10:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Personally I wouldn't for several reasons. 1. It can be very painful it depends on the woman and how rough the doctor is 2. Unless your body and the baby are ready it will do nothing but cause pain, bleeding, and unuseful contractions and really irritate the cervix. 3. There is always a risk of infection when fingers go up the vagina (especially non sterile hands) 4. There is a chance they will accidentally or "accidentally on purpose" break the amniotic sack and if the baby's head isn't engaged can seriously increase the chances of a cord prolapse. 5. The vagina is like the rectum...stress does NOT allow for the muscles to relax and stripping membranes is stressful.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• All you can do is ask. 39 weeks is term. My midwife did my at 37 weeks with my 3rd. He was born at 38 weeks at 8.5 lbs! I cannot even fathom him being any larger like he would have been had he stayed in another 2 weeks.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• FYI, Babies don't put on weight as fast during the last few weeks. And another 1/2 pound or pound wouldn't have been significantly bigger. Heavier doesn't necessarily translate to bigger.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:38 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I didn't know that my doctor was stripping my membranes, It hurt worse than labor...

Answer by rkoloms at 11:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am sure he will, if he hasnt already. Depending on how dilated you are, it can hurt of not. It hurt me worse at 3cm then it did at 4cm. I dont think its the stripping that actually hurts, i think its the fingers in the cervix so if you are nice and dilated (which you are) then it shouldnt hurt too badly. Since you are having some mild contractions then this is the perfect time for him to do it
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I had mine stripped at my 38 wk app. i was 4cm and i think 75% effaced . it didnt hurt and i ahd her the next day.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2009