Afraid my daughter has worms =(

We adopted a kitten a few weeks ago and just found out she has worms. Well, the worms were spread to the dogs - even though they had limited contact. My daughter (16 months) is constantly playing with the dogs and outside playing in the yard. I try to keep her hands as clean as possible, but it's sometimes hard as they are always in her mouth. I am so scared right now that she got worms from the dogs or cat. (Mainly dogs, she has also had limited contact with the cat.) Should I call the pedi and explain the situation? I feel like I am such a horrible mother. All kind of thoughts are running through my head - can they consider this child neglect and take my daughter away from me? Have any of your kids gotten worms? I am seriously contemplating getting rid of all of our pets now. I never want my daughter to be at risk again =( Please help me - I am a nervous wreck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Health

• Did you adopt from a humane society? Someone else posted last night about their kitten having worms as well. And they adopted from a humane society.....

I am sorry you are going through this. I would call your child's pedi just to be safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• the tape test is an easy way to find pinworms. It's best to do this right when your child wakes up and before he or she uses the bathroom or bathes. To do the tape test, pat a piece of clear tape on the skin around the anus. You can then take the tape to your doctor, who can use a microscope to check for pinworms or eggs. Most pinworm infections are mild and easily treated. Your doctor may prescribe a single chewable tablet of a medicine called mebendazole (brand name: Vermox). About 2 weeks later, a second tablet is taken. Or your doctor may recommend another kind of medicine, pyrantel (brand names: Pin-X, Pin-Rid). This is also taken in 2 doses about 2 weeks apart.

JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 10:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i dont think it would be neglect, unless you left the baby outside unattended and something was wrong. look at her poop see if there are worms in there, call the doctor and explain everything....i really dont think theyll take your dd away from you. just call better safe than sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• this is a really good question, because i've often wondered about it myself
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 10:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• They won't take your child from you because of worms. Many kids get them, it's just the social stigma that goes along with "having worms" that makes you feel so bad. I've had 2 kids with pinworms and it's not a terrible thing.

Get your daughter to a doctor. They can also take a stool sample or if you can take one in that would help. Like JoyandLove said, it's just a simple treatment of a couple of chewable tablets. Be sure to wash your daughter's bedding and clothing in hot water if she's diagnosed with worms.

Most kittens and puppies carry worms, no matter how healthy the mother is. We wormed our pregnant bitches regularly and their pups still had to be wormed. Most of the time the pups and kittens have roundworms and they'll probably have tapeworms if they have fleas. Get the wormer from the vet, not the store, use it as recommended by the vet and you'll have healthy animals.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• no if you dont take her to the doc it is neglect, if she just catches worms and you do something to help her you are not neglecting.. i would just make an appt at the pedi to be sure, you cant be too careful.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Pinworms Overview Pinworm (Enterobius vermicularis) infections are extremely common. Occurring world wide, it is estimated that there are more than 40 million cases in the United States each year, making it the most common worm infection in America. Although any individual may develop a case of pinworms, the infection occurs most frequently in school children between 5 to 10 years of age. Pinworm infections occur in all socioeconomic groups; however, human-to-human spread is favored by close, crowded living conditions. Spread among family members is common. Animals do not harbor pinworms - humans are the only natural host for this parasite.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The most common symptom of pinworms is an itchy rectal area. Symptoms are worse at night when the female worms are most active and crawl out of the anus to deposit their eggs. Although pinworm infections can be annoying, they rarely cause serious health problems and are usually not dangerous. Therapy with routine prescription medications provides an effective cure in almost all cases.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pinworms/article_em.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I talked to her pedi and they said unless she is experiencing weight loss, fever, rashes, etc., I shouldn't be concerned. They said the chance of her getting them would be slim - but still is possible.

The kitten has roundworms and coccidia - so I wasn't even thinking of coccidia. Have any of you experienced worms with your pets?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2009