Training an older dog?

My SO and I moved in together along with our dogs. While I have a 15 pound small mixed breed, He has a 60 pound black lab/chow mix.... While she's a really good dog, she minds pretty well, is very good with my son, is housebroke, etc... But she pulls HARD on the leash. We bought an older home (for a steal), but it's still being worked on, and isn't quite liveable just yet (we're hoping by this time next year). Where we're living at now we can't put a fence up, a kennel, or anything. We're pretty close to a busier road, so his dog has to be walked on a leash. (My dog stays right in the yard). I'm a SAHM, he works 6-10 hour days. I'm 22 weeks pregnant and can't walk this poor dog. She isn't going out enough, so she's been getting really hyper. When I take her she pulls me hard (it's a very long leash, like 3ft).... She doesn't listen and trys to pull me (luckily I'm a little stronger then her). How can I get her to stop. She's 3

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 10:13 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Here is what I learned at obedience class, and my dog has NEVER pulled on the leash EVER again:

Get your dog fitted with a check chain, and also buy a 25-foot leash. Put both the collar and the leash on the dog, and head outside. The minute your dog runs past your body, turn around and walk the other direction. The leash/collar will jerk the dog. The dog will turn the other direction, and again, the minute the dog runs past your body, turn the other way. Rinse and repeat. After two reps, my dog stopped bounding ahead and started paying attention to me.

Remove the long leash and put on a standard-sized leash. Repeat the process--when dog passes you, turn and walk the other way. Do not jerk the leash when you turn; the dog's natural momentum will be enough. THIS DOES NOT HURT THE DOG, so don't worry about that.

This is how I taught my dog to heel on leash and she has never pulled me since (and she is strong--70lbs).
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I should add that I've tried shorter leashes, but this just makes it worse. I can't be out there fighting with her, and watching a two year old.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• And my SO does walk her; when he's home....
    momma_marian

• Use a head collar.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• (cont)

Repeat this process every time you walk her. Very quickly you will no longer need the long leash and will only use the short one. Even if your dog does not heel afterwards, she will not pull...if ever she does pull (or starts to pull), turn around and walk the other way.

Good luck!
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2009