My son is getting his shots today for his 4 month appt

HOw can I make him feel better after I know I cannot buy him an ice cream but it's so sad when he crys cause it hurts. I formula feed so I cannot nurse him. Anything else I can do?

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 10:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK, don't y'all just love it when you ask a simple question and the posters start arguing amongst themselves in the responses?

I had the same with DS at the end of last month. Yes, they sting, and i gave him a little tylenol bout an hr before, and fed him before we went, so he wasn't worked up to get sick after he ate. Just cuddle that lil booger til he falls asleep. I'm not one to hold my kid all day, but shots day, I do. It seems to comfort him, and this last set wasn't as hard as the first set.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• give him motrin an hour before he gets his shots
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:23 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• motrin really helps. Tylenol helps but motrin last longer for relief. Give it 30 min before appt. And after shots just give lots of TLC and if your baby sleeps a lot after shots let them sleep. Good luck momma...shots are hard on both mom and baby.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• NO MOTRIN BEFORE 6 MONTHS!! Give him Tylenol (ask your doctor for dosage based on weight) and have a bottle of formula ready right after the shots. He may be a little fussy later on, fyi.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Are you completely comfortable with the vaccination schedule? Have you considered having the doctor’s office order single dose, preservative free vaccines?
    If nothing else, please read the inserts before allowing the shots to be given; they contain vital information that your doctor probably will not share with you.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Give him tylenol about 30 minutes before his appointment. Poor little guy :( My son is 4 and it still kills me when he gets shots. Be sure to cuddle the little man tons after, and if he has a binky or other comfort item be sure to have it right away.

rkoloms, if she wasn't comfortable with the vaccination schedule she wouldn't be doing it. Seriously, stop being such a nazi about this crap.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:28 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Kalebsmommee -- Every time I read one of your responses, my IQ drops a little. Did you actually read the part that said "Have you considered having the doctor’s office order single dose, preservative free vaccines?" Gee...letting the mom know there are other options? What a friggin Nazi she is! The mom doesn't have to use the info given, but as a parent it's nice to know that there ARE other options, so get off your high horse. BTW- the term nazi is EXTREMELY offensive. Offering other information this mom may not know was a possibility hardly counts as exterminating 6 million people. I hope the next time you use that word, I hope it's not directed at someone who has family that's been directly effected by the holocaust.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Anon, get your head out of your ass!!

Your IQ drops? wow that's horrible, you better be careful!

Yes, I read the entire post. Maybe instead of jumping on me you should be saying something to the damn anti-vaccination nazi that is sitting there asking a mom if she is comfortable with her shot schedule because well.. we all know if a mom gives her child vaccinations as they are recommended something could possibly happen. The mom didn't come on here asking for someone to tell her she needs to do this or that regarding the vaccination she simply came on here asking what she could do to comfort her child afterwards. She doesn't need a know it all telling her about vaccinations or about what she should do.

Also, if you get offended by the term nazi you seriously need to quit living under a rock my friend.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009