WHAT CAN I GIVE MY 3 MONTH OLD FOR CONSTIPATION

My twins turned 3 Months old on the 18th. My lil girl poops every day and doesnt struggle one bit, her brother on the other hand poops once every 3 days and struggles. His poop is very hard (kinda like playdoh that has been left out to dry). They are both fed Enfamil Gentlease (with rice cereal per DRS orders for spit up issues). My mother said to use Karo Syrup but after research i feel it might work but the company says not to use with infants) What else could i use to help him?

katelynsmom22

Asked by katelynsmom22 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Any type of Karo Syrup is unsafe!! It is an outdated method that most doctors advocate against. Karo syrup (ANY kind) CAN harbor botulism spores which are DEADLY in infants! It is never worth the risk with so many other options available.

I agree with the PP about the Iron in the formula. Perhaps try giving a tiny bit of cut prune juice and see if that helps get it all moving.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The cereal could be causing the backup issue with him. Honestly I have never heard of using Karo syrup, must be one of those good-old-remedys from way back when. (my mom has a ton of em) You probably shouldn't use it for him, especially if it says not to. You could try laying off the cereal for a bit and see if the problem corrects itself. Maybe his little body just can't process it correctly, even if its for a spit up issue. I'd rather deal with spit up than him struggling and being uncomfortable.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• you could use mirelax, however get the OK from the Doctor for dosage,. my son had / has this struggle since birth and still at 21 months old. There's something I just recently found at target ( if you have one ) I can't remember the name but it does clearly state on there that it is safe for infants. I have been using it for a week and its amazing! you can find it by the baby laxatives but its not a stimulant... sorry I don't remember the name!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• the cereal could be causing it, but I don't know that I would go against drs orders. Have you spoken with them about the constipation? You could try a little bit of 100% juice, mixed 50/50 with water. Usually juice is very good for loosening up stools, but you wouldn't want to use it too often - it's a lot of sugar for little ones. Once you start baby food, the fruits will do the same thing (particularly the prunes).

Answer by missanc at 10:37 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You might try a different formula with your son. My dd had the same problem with the Enfamil gentlease and I switch to the similac sensitive and my dd didn't have anymore issues. You can also take his rectal temp and this will help stimulate things

Good Luck!
    Xandriasmommy

Answer by Xandriasmommy at 10:38 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• add 1-2 DROPS of either grape seed oil (best) or pure virgin olive oil into his formula -and try to dilute his formula for now adding a bit more of baby water to it
    annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 10:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Our pediatrician recommended DARK Karo Syrup (NOT the clear kind, which isn't safe), 1/4 tsp twice a day. Works like a stool softener.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• WOW, my Dr, told me to use dark karo syrup for hers. Also a little apple prune juice now and again (diluted) helps her out quite a bit.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 11:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Be carefull with putting anything in a infant bottle with reflux, they could aspirate it! I had the same problem with my girl twin. We took her to a stomach dr and he told us it does not hurt to give enemas. Of course we had test done and nothing was wrong but trouble pooping so he said if she gets fussy not being able to poop give her one. She has outgrow it now and doesnt have any problems.
    MomOfFour24

Answer by MomOfFour24 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009