Any recommendations on washers and dryers that I should or should not buy?

I buying a new washer and dryer next week. I would prefer to keep it on the cheaper side, but I also don't want to buy something that is bad quality. Any recommendations? Or, do you know of a brand that is really bad?

pinkgemini85

Asked by pinkgemini85 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• to get the best answer, I would call your local repair man and ask what they would or would not recommend. They know more than anyone
    determind

Answer by determind at 11:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• thats a great idea thank you!
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Kenmore! They have a HUGE range from super cheap, to super expensive, and you can get EXCELLENT warranties for pretty cheap.. It depends on how often you do laundry and such, but there are only three of us, and I basically do one load of laundry a day, and I have had mine (I bought them for a total of $1000 for washer and dryer) for 6 years and NEVER had a single problem. My warranty is up now, so if I get a problem I will just have to pay out of pocket to fix or buy a new one, but I think I have gotten my moneys worth in 6 years!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• www.consumerreports.org or you can read them at your local library for free

Answer by rkoloms at 11:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I just got a front loader Whrilpool washer, and also got the stand it sits on as well, I will tell you that my clothes look so much cleaner! I had always used top loaders before. Our water bill this month was half of what it usually is! The only down side is you have to buy special detergent, but i find it at Costco for about half of wal-mart price. I got the washer 150 dollars cheaper because it had a dent in the back. I am super impressed with it---but it didn't make me LOVE doing laundry, if you find that machine, let me know LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We got ours at the Sears outlet. I forget the town, I know it's near the Berlin Turnpike. They have every brand there and they just have small dents. They go over with you the damage on them. I figured who cares about a small dent or scratch when it's just down in our basement anyways, if you can save a few hundred.
    erlavoie

Answer by erlavoie at 9:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'd say Whirlpool or it's subsidiary, Roper. (A Roper is the same thing as a Whirlpool, but less expensive.)
    I got a Roper washer and dryer pair 18 years ago. I'm talking about 2-3 loads of laundry EVERY SINGLE DAY! (Sometimes more) They have never had to have any repair or service and are still going strong.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:52 AM on Aug. 21, 2009