Whats a good way to Vegify this recipe

I have this recipe that is delicous. But i am wondering a good way to make it veggie. I mean it shouldn't be that difficult but i am not fond of tofu and neither are my kids.and thats the only thing i can think of to replace the chicken.... Help me veggify this please

Monster burritos

pre cooked sliced chicken breast seasoned with taco seasoning

refried beans

pico de gallo

jenniamigo

Asked by jenniamigo at 11:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• pour some olive oil in a hot pan; add 1/2 diced onion and a diced clove of garlic; when it is fragrant, add 2 cups or so of shredded zucchini. Season to taste with whatever, or use taco seasoning:Taco Seasoning:
    4.5 tsp. paprika;
    1 tsp. cumin powder;
    0.5 tsp. oregano;
    1 tsp. chili powder;
    1 tsp. onion powder;
    0.25 tsp. lemon powder (optional, I've never used it);
    1 tsp. salt;
    1 tsp. sugar;
    0.5 tsp. garlic powder;
    1 tsp. flour;
    0.5 tsp. cocoa powder
    Mix all together and store in airtight container. Makes approx. 4 tablespoonful - the equivalent of 1 package of seasoning (enough to season 1 pound of meat or a substitute). This mix is very mild, I add cayenne.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:16 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• you can go to any supermarket & find "vegitarian chicken" My daughter is vegitarian, so i always have to substitute for her. Some cut up vegitarian chichen tenders might be very yummy!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You could substitute the chicken with portobello mushrooms, green peppers, onions, sautee them in a pan and you are ready to go! I might add some cheese too!
    Or you could beef them up and make them with like 3 types of beans, add 2 types of cheese and that makes them filling and yummy.
    We often substitute meat with beans or lots of veggies.
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 11:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i am not strictly vegi, but i used to be, and although there are MANY mainstream products that are mainly derived from soy "Textured Vegetable Protein" can come from all sorts of sources.

the favorite in our house for chicken-like products "morningstar farms", but "Quorn" has a lot more in the way of poultry like product, so once it is seasoned, you really can't tell. if the kids do not have an aversion to shrooms, sautee those- they're very meaty and extremely high in zinc. good stuff. actually, you could add whatever you want vegi-wise. like say, throw some roasted corn in (put it in the oev @ 400 for about 40 minutes, in the husks, then cut it off the cob), heck a little avocado for omega 3's, use your imagination!

there are ALL KINDS of vegi recipes for meatless wonders, gimme a minute and i will reference a couple of books for you to look at.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• VEGETARIAN STEAKS

1 3/4 c. gluten flour 1/4 c. white flour 1/2 c. brewers yeast flakes
    1 tablespoon wheat germ 1 package dry onion soup mix 1 3/4-2 1/4 c. hot tap water

mix all dry ingredients, add 1 3/4 c of the water (mixture will be sticky) add just enough of the water to moisten all dry ingredients. when mixture is ready to boil, it will be a large sticky ball of elastic consistency. pull off medium sized balls of dough and flatten with your fingers then drop into boiling broth (broth may be seasoned with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay, etc.) cook, covered for 20-25 min. remove from boiling broth, chill overnight. may be used in tex-mex or chinese dishes, sliced and seasoned. may be floured and fried as chop steak, or covered with tomato sauce and baked... use your imagination.

my kids liked this one a lot, and you can freeze it and use it whenever you need it. hth
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2009