Did you have an abortion after you were told there was something wrong with your baby?

For example, Down's Syndrome, or a heart defect, or Cystic Fibrosis.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think for myself it would depend on several factors. One would I be financially able to take care of a child that had a severe birth defect or not? What resources for the child would be available in my area? What help could or would I qualify for, if I wasn't able to care for them? Two, if something happened to me and my DH who would be looking after this child? Could they afford to do so? Three, are there other children involved? How will this affect them? Can they handle the situation? Do I want more children in the future? Or would this child require so much care that I couldn't possibly do that? Fourth, How much support do I have around me? Is the extended family of grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. willing to help, if only occassionally?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Ught oh...drama starter....**turning around and walking out**
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 11:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• y i she a drama starter maybe she is preggo and her baby has a birth deffect why judge !! im sure ladies out there have did this bc they dont want there child too struggle .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• nope, it's not the baby's fault they're not "perfect" they didn't asked to be conceived, no reason to murder them just b/c they have a disability... would you kill a child with down's syndrome? no, you wouldn't.. so why an unborn baby?
    Anonymous

• Nope. I was told there was about a 75% chance that my daughter would have Down Syndrome (my daughter's aunt has it, and when they did the blood tests, it came back that we had a 75% chance). I had one week before it was "too late" and I didn't do it. I went in about a month later to do an ultrasound, and they checked for all of the physical signs, but my daughter didn't have any. She was totally healthy.
    Anonymous

• I did have an abortion after I found out about spina bifida, that being said my next pregnancy was a still birth at 30 weeks. I know the two were not related, but I carry guilt to this day for doing it. I know it sounds crazy, but I always wonder if losing my daughter was punishment for the abortion. I also know of 2 people who carried their babies to term after a positive CF test and they ended up fine. If you are in this situation I feel your pain more than you can know. I guess the best advice is to pray and talk to your DH. Depending on the severity, it could be setting up your current kids for a life of taking care of their sibling. I would not terminate for Down's Syndrome, but that is just me, GOOD LUCK and GOD BLESS you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• That is your choice, I wouldnt do it, I belive all babies are perfect in there own ways. Not to mention, those tests are often wrong.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i think it all depends on what disability the baby will have , the only way i could ever have a abortion would be if the baby would have no life what so ever eg, if the baby/child could never be able to do anything for its self. but every1 feels different about this and their is no shame in this if that is what you want to do, you do what is best for you not what others tell you , at the end of the day it is your baby and your life you can only chose xxx
    happymam2b

Answer by happymam2b at 11:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• no. that child should be giving a chance to live! my niece has downs and she is one of the best kids. i think its sick to think that mothers kill their own child just bc theres something wrong u should love that child regardless take that child for what it is. u created it u deal with the out come no matter what it may be! u will reget it. what if u had something wrong when u were in ur mom would u have wanted her to kill u too? thats not right abortion is murder! if it has a heart beat then its a living thing even if it has 12 toes or 3 eyes! I know a lil boy with half a brain they told them to abort him. he talks walks EVERYTHING they said he wouldnt! Give the kid a chance if u dont want to "deal" with the "defect" GIVE IT UP FOR ADOPTION u can pick the kids parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• have not been in that position, thank God
    but can not judge anyone who would make the decesion to terminate
    sure moms that do this have thought long and hard and made the right choice for them

i would never get an abortion, but i also am pro choice
    abortion would still be around if it were not legal, it would be in back alleys and much more dangerous, abortion has always been around and will always be around until there are no unwanted pregnancies, so i will be pro choice until the day when there are no women that have to make a choice

bash me all you want, i will not make a decision for someone else

on the rape/abortion issue, having to prove you were raped to get an abortion would be nearly as bad as the rape itself
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2009