Is marriage not under the right of the pursuit of happiness?

Is it? I'll edit this later to add another point.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Just to let you know pursuit of happiness means we all have the right to PURSUE it does not garuntee that we will all get there nor is it saying anything about any other specific 'rights'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The pursuit of happiness isn't a constitutional right. It was in the Declaration of Independence as a grievance against the King. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are in furtherance to what's stated in the Declaration of Independence, but "pursuit of happiness" isn't mentioned again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am anon :38 and I think I see where you might be going with your question and you're only getting gov't type of answers. I will say that in our free country, if one right is denied a certain person or persons then we are failing at true freedom. If one group of people is allowed to marry, then all groups should be allowed. Holding rights back from people is wrong, especially when it's done in the name of religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I AGREE WITH THE ANON ABOVE.

Answer by older at 11:55 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• that was my understanding
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• 9:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 by: Anonymous
    I am anon :38 and I think I see where you might be going with your question and you're only getting gov't type of answers. I will say that in our free country, if one right is denied a certain person or persons then we are failing at true freedom. If one group of people is allowed to marry, then all groups should be allowed. Holding rights back from people is wrong, especially when it's done in the name of religion.

this
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Maybe, thats always been part of the debate.

However more importantly disallowing two consenting adults to marry, violates the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 12:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• 11:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Just to let you know pursuit of happiness means we all have the right to PURSUE it does not garuntee that we will all get there nor is it saying anything about any other specific 'rights'

Yes, but if you say a certain group of people cannot get married (gay) you are denying them the right to pursue happiness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• So if it makes me happy to go and vote multiple times in one election, then I should be allowed to do that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• 12:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 by: Anonymous
    So if it makes me happy to go and vote multiple times in one election, then I should be allowed to do that?

Really? Voted several times vs being allowed to marry someone you love? WTH? I do not understand how people can compare the stupidest things and think it will work! How about coming up with something that CAN compare?
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009