How much wieght is an appropriate amount to lose in a week?

I'm trying to lose weight and i've been losing about 2 pounds a week for a few weeks now. I was told by quite a few people that i know that, that is too much weight to fast. So was wondering what you think would be a good goal for me to set myself at.

ari_baby

Asked by ari_baby at 11:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• In the first week you usually lose more, but I have always heard that after that 2 pounds per week is just right, I do weight watchers and that is what they say...

How are you doing it?? I'd love some tips.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:28 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• 1 to 3 pounds a week on average. It depends on how much you have to lose. My girlfriend and I did weight watchers and I would lose 2 pounds a week (average) and she would lose 4 a week but she had more weight to lose. Good luck hun!!
    TheJBug

Answer by TheJBug at 11:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• That's perfectly safe. That's the amount that is recommended to lose weekly. But it also depends on what you weigh to begin with. If you take an obese person that would usually eat like 11000 calories a day and take that down to even half, they're going to lose 20 pounds or more a week. It all depends on what you're doing and how healthy you are being. I have lost 15 pounds in a week before, not healthy, I only weighed 130 to begin with and was just partying and not eating much. I got down to 115 and am 5'11". Gross right?
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• 2 to 3 pounds in one week is ok....the key is to take the weight off slowly, not to call it a diet and make it a life change....
    sgrubb64

Answer by sgrubb64 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• 2 pounds a week is perfectly safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• From what I know it is 1-3 pounds a week
    dcdmattison03

Answer by dcdmattison03 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• 1 pound = 3500 calories. Most individuals lose about 2 pounds per week.

Theres a group here on Cafemom called " Daily Nutritional Tips" you should check out. Not only are there tips, there are forums with a weight loss challenge, exercise plans/programs, & diet plans/programs.

What do you have to lose? There is LOTS of information there!

Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2009