Would you think someone is racist if...

I recently had a converstaion with a friend who told me she thinks one of her daughters friends is racist because she didn't want the African American, American Girl doll, Addy! These girls are 9 years old. Her daughter is Hispanic and her friend is white. Why would she want the African American doll...she's white!

Would you consider this child to be racist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No Im white and I never wanted a black doll. I wanted dolls that looked like me.
    That is just stupid to call a child racist because of that .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• umm no she prob is just used to the white doll being white herself.... she prob related more to the white doll at her age
    onehotmama2lil1

Answer by onehotmama2lil1 at 11:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Only if she wanted to collect all of them except Addy. That would be weird, otherwise, your friend has race on the brain a bit too much.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:41 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• those are expensive dolls, maybe she knew she could not have all, kids have to choose what toys they want, maybe child related to another doll
    not racist, just a kid wanting a doll
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• That's funny, cuz growing up I didn't want the black dolls either and I'm a person of color. They made the dolls so ugly back then. When I looked in the mirror I didn't see myself represented in any way shape or form from those dolls. Dolls have gotten better tho over the years but they still have to realize that not all black people are dark with wide noses, big lips and nappy hair.

Now, I've seen that Addy doll myself and I will admit she's not all that cute; but I wouldn't think someone is racist cuz they didn't want a AA doll. That to me is silly and that person is reaching - really reaching and only looking for drama.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• she is white, so naturally she would want a white doll- You NEVER see a black girl with a white doll- and the only Mexican doll I've seen is Dora-so, hmm-wow, I never thought about that. anyway- If she collected ALL the dolls except for the black one, it might be weird, however a child doesn't know how to be racist- its PARENTS that instill that on a child.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 11:46 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• dont think its racist at all
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 11:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• kids want dolls that look like them it doesn't mean she is racist.
    does the child have any African American friends?
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• One of the big selling points of American Girl dolls is to customize them to look like you - you choose eye/hair color, whether they have freckles, curly or straight hair, etc. Why would she want on that doesn't look like her if that's the point of the doll?
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 11:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i dont think so children relate and model after what they are, an african american girl probably doesnt want teh white doll doesnt make her racist
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009