If it isolates me, what's it do to my DS?

My DH just took a job in north central Montana. Yes, 64 miles from the next town, which is only population of 133! It's a wonderful opportunity because DH will get to do what he's always wanted, learn a ton, and I'll be able to continue being a SAHM. BUT! I don't know anyone up there, and there's no telling how long we'll be there... Because there are so few opportunities to meet people and such a long drive even to the next town, I'm afraid it may be difficult to socialize DS... He's 4mos old, and we need to be there at least 2 years...

What can I do to keep him socialized and independent?

HELP!!

matobe

Asked by matobe at 11:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• park?? and being 4 months now he will be ok for a while
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Park? There isn't even a town within an hour's drive!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'm sure if you try hard enough it won't be as difficult to interact with others as it seems.. Besides, he is only 4 months old you still have some time before he needs to be fully interacting with others. I can also probably guarantee there is a park near, even if it's within somewhat of a driving distance (30 mins even) if there isn't a park surely there is a school with a playground. You will also have neighbors, in small towns like that it's good to make good with the neighbors . It isn't like you will be the only family in this area.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Ok, I guess I should have expanded a little...

We will be living on a 480,000 acre ranch. Alone, on the side of a mountain. It's not like it is back home, where the 64 miles takes 64 minutes. It is nearly a 2 hour drive through the curves, and a little mental picture, the house is 12 miles down a driven path thru a pasture on the side of a mountain. It takes 35 mins to get to the road!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• and a tri-county school district.
    matobe

• 4 yrs ago my husband and i moved to southern Mississippi, being from southern california I didnt want togive up the lifestyle i had grown accustomed to but I did so he could follow his job and advance in his field. He makes twice as much and the living cost half as much butit didnt take care of the fact that i resented him for it. I left my friends, family, job and everything i had grown to love. My resentment grew and grew and we were fighting everyday until we finally saw a counselor. We almost didnt get past it, but we were lucky to find a therapist who understood. Just make sure you are ready to make the sacrifice or it could cost you everything like it almost did me.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• maybe you can buy him a lil aprk. little tikes has great stuff.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:22 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Church is a wonderful place to meet people for yourself and for your child, too.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We are pentecostal, and there is a catholic church and a nazarene church...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have also lived up in MT in the middle of nowhere (20 minutes to the nearest TV let alone a 'real' town). Usually in such places the sense of community is actually pretty large and there are a lot of organized events, even if it is just past through word of mouth. I have a feeling you will find an amazing number of people in the same situation looking to socialize. Check out the local churches for events (even if you don't belong). Check out the nearest town and check in with the town folk to see what sorts of things people enjoy doing. On another note even if you don't get to do as much as you like it will not hurt your son anywhere near what you think. You will still be the center of his world and his favorite person to hang with even with friends nearby. Becoming independent does not depend on having others around to hang with, it has to do with how you raise him / his general personality. You all will do great!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2009