Any suggestions for keeping the stench down?

Does anyone have a suggestion or two on how to keep dog poop from starting to smell? I usually keep my yard clean, but we only have trash pick up once a week, so no matter what, we have poop starting to smell. Any suggestions?

dragonmommyj

Asked by dragonmommyj at 11:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pets

• We put our dog poop in a plastic baggie, and then keep it in our detached garage. How many dogs do you have? I have a 60 lb. black lab and I don't smell her poop when I go outside. We also have weekly trash pickup.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have 2 dogs-89 pound yellow lab and 60 pound mix.
    When I clean it up I do so in plastic grocery bags, but no matter where I leave the bags until the next trash pick up they start to smell. I would prefer to put them in our trash cans, but DH doesn't like how it starts to smell (I don't like it much either) before the next trash pick up. I was just wondering if there was some great product out there that I could just add to each bag of poop to keep it from smelling.
    Thanks!
    dragonmommyj

Answer by dragonmommyj at 2:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We always put baking powder in the bags before we tie them tightly and toss them. You may need to use something other than the plastic grocery bags. They're not very thick and it's hard to tie them really tightly.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 4:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• As I was writing my last response I was starting to think baking powder might work. Debra do you then put the poop bags in with the regular trash, with no extra smell? Thank you for confirming the idea!
    dragonmommyj

Answer by dragonmommyj at 7:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Get a separate garbage can.Line it with one of those plastic garbage bag. Then pick up the poop in separate grocery bags and tie them shut. Put the bags of dog poop in the (bag-lined) garbage can and the lid on tight. Trash day, take the whole outer garbage bag out with the sacks of poop in it, tie it off and put it with the regular garbage. Keep the garbage can out of the sunshine, and not near anywhere you don't want to draw flies (like not on the patio or near the back door.)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2009