We'll be ISOLATED!!! HELP!!!

My DH just took a job in north central Montana. Yes, 64 miles from the next town, which is only population of 133! It's a wonderful opportunity because DH will get to do what he's always wanted, learn a ton, and I'll be able to continue being a SAHM. BUT! I don't know anyone up there, and there's no telling how long we'll be there... Because there are so few opportunities to meet people and such a long drive even to the next town, I'm afraid it may be difficult to socialize DS... He's 4mos old, and we need to be there at least 2 years...

What can I do to keep him socialized and independent?

HELP!!

matobe

Asked by matobe at 11:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hmmm post an add on craiglist to do a play group in that area you may be surprised at the number of mothers in a similair spot as you
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:50 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Search for CafeMoms by zipcode. You may find some in your area.

Join the PTA; this is a great way to meet parents.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• What is the name of the town you will be living in? I mean i know its not a town lol, but I'm super good at research and finding things to do in even the smallest places, maybe i can help you out. if you don't want it made public you can PM me. I've lived out in the middle of nowhere before lol, so I can probably help you out a little bit.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• just over half way between Andes and Vida, MT.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• And the mail don't come out that far!
    matobe

• I'm sorry. :(
    Will you have some transportation of your own while your husband is working? If so, you can find some places online or at your town's local hot spot (small convenience store, library, coffee shop, etc) to go visit or meet with other people.
    I hope it all works out for you. Up in Maine we were very isolated in the country, but we were only 30 minutes from the nearest town and I LOVED being that far from everything - I was in sheer heaven! Our mail didn't come out to us, either, but the buses for my girl's schools came to the end of our road about a quarter mile down, which helped.
    Also, try to find some things that you can do and explore on your own in your area with your son as he grows. It can be very exciting!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Will you have internet access? That will give you some way to keep in touch with civilization lol. How far will you be from Poplar, MT? That's about right between Andes and Vida on the mapquest map, and looks like it's got at least a few stores and such. It's probably got some neighborhood parks where you could take your little one to play with other kids. And if there are other people that live near you, go over and introduce yourself right away. Don't be shy about making friends.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• There's also Culbertson I think it is, that's closer to Andes than Vida though.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• WELL I AM AT MY MOTHER'S & ALL I HAVE 762.00 PER MONTH
    molly900

Answer by molly900 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2009