VBAC??

ok i have asked a lot of questions on here lately and i have missed the most important one. with my first born(boy) i had to have an emergency c section, i am 31 weeks pregnant (girl) and i really want to have her natural. but when i went to see the ob he advised that i have a c section, this was before he even looked at my medical history, because i transferred from a different state. he has seen my ultrasounds though, and when i was 20 weeks i had my gall bladder removed. he tells me that i am at risk of my uterus rupturing. and the risk of that is my baby wont get any oxygen and we both would get severe infections and something else.. dont remember.. has anyone else had this problem? you had a c section before and wanted to vbac but your doc advised not to but you still dont feel fully aware of why?? please tell me your stories and what you did.. thank you.

BUDDHASBABY1

Asked by BUDDHASBABY1 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Considering the fact that you have 2 places with scar tissue from your 2 procedures ... I'd probably go with the csection to reduce the risk.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• what do you mean you don't feel fully aware as of why your Dr. wants you to have another c-section? your uterus can rupture and your baby could die from not getting any oxygen it can get any clearer then that!! having a c-section doesn't mean your not giving birth to that baby you just cant do it the way you want to, do it for the safety of you and your baby, having a natural birth is awesome but so it having your baby healthy, good luck i hope everything thing turns out the way you want it to!!
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I had a C sect with my second and VBAC with my 3rd. The reason for C sect was that she as breech and the doc figured I'd have no problems delivering my 3rd natural. Well, the delivery was fine, after, not fine. The placenta attached to my uterine scar from my previous C sect and the doc had to reach in and pull it out (and I really mean that literally) Someone in here will argue with me Im sure, but 4 yrs later I had to have a hysterectomy due to my uterus being so traumatized (I suffered alot during that 4 yrs) If I had another c sect, I wouldnt have had to have a hysterectomy, so thats always something else to consider. If I could go back, Id have another c sect, so really, your doc probably knows best, you dont want to run all those risks.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• There are two books I think you should read:

"Birthing the Easy Way" by Shela Stubbs (she had a c-section with her first after she was told her pelvis was too small then was able to birth her second child, 10 LBS+ naturally)

"Pushed: The Painful Truth about Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care" by Jennifer Block

You are most likely to rupture if they put you on pitocin (it makes contractions last longer and stronger than natural contraction) and many physicians don't like the idea of not being able to just administer a fake hormone you make you deliver faster (which is usually not the case).

Find a physician who is supportive of VBACs, that is your best chance of getting one.

hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 1:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If you want to VBAC you need to find a dr or midwife who is willing to do them. I attempted to VBAC (my dr supported them) but ended up with a c-section again because of some other problems during my pregnancy...they didn't want me to go beyond 40 wks.

Another good read is The Silent Knife!

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009