GBS test

has anyone had the GBS test done and ended up goin into labor??

what was the signs??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That test is to see if your going to go into labor anytime in the next to weeks- It doesn't MAKE you go into labor- If you got the test done, they should have, or will call u soon with the results, that test is VERY accurate, I think 99% correct.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• JnCV

No, the GBS test is NOT to see if you are going in to labor soon... it is to see if you have Group B Strep (hense the GBS acronym)

the Fetal Fibronectin Test (FFT) is what I think you are referring to.

OP...

There is no link between being GBS positive and when you will go in to labor. Nor does having your rectum swabbed (where they check for it) put you in to labor
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• There are no signs of GBS! We all have some degree of strep in our vagina & rectum at some point in our lives. They test for it at 36 weeks to determine the level that is present near the time of birth. Based on the result (positive or negative) you will either be given anti-biotics thru and IV every 4 hours during labor (if you are positive) or you will have nothing done (if you are negative)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'm sorry PP was right, I was thinking of the WRROONNG test- So any info I said, TOTALLY disregard..damn I've been off my game today! so sorry- I'm in idiot! anyways- I have never heard of that test causing labor, or the results linking to when labor will begin....I tested at 36 weeks and I was negative- but my sisters and mother were all positive, so I asked to be giving the antibiotics just in case, not sure if my doctor will listen thou.

Again, I'm in idiot- disregard my earlier statement.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 12:29 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Group B strep is a common digestive flora that can be found in that vagina. Regardless of wheather you test positive for GBS, you can still pass it on to your child (thogh thoes rates are extreemly small). Oth thoes who do get GBS and get sick durign delivery, 10% die (Gaskin, 2003).

If you test positive there are things you can do (even before the GBS test) to reduce your chances of a poitive and reduce chances of spreedign GBS to your child at this time. A great resourse for self treatmetn of GBS can be foudn at (http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbsAlt.html). However, takign probiodics throuout your pregancy will help you to keep a health balance of good and bad gut flora.

Gaskin, I. M. (2003). Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. New Your: Bantam Dell

hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 1:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2009