I think my son is "slow". Can you help me out w/ this?

I'm not exactly sure what a 1 yr old should be able to do, but I see kids his age or a couple months older that are so much more advanced than he is. I think he might be a little slow, like he doesn't say words except WHOA, WOW, OWWW, and sometimes mama when he is crying. He has started pulling up on furniture and kind of does the cruising but not too much.

What should he be able to do, and does the not talking or walking qualify him as slow?

(his birthday is monday, he will be 1)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Every child develops differently, i don't think he is slow. My daughter didn't walk until 13 months, and from that point on it seemed she learned something new everyday. So i really wouldn't worry hun. :)

Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son did not walk until 16 months my DD was 18 months before she walked. Your ped will go over some developmental questions at your 1 year visit but is sounds like your LO is doing fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Babies understand more words than they can say. So many things are going on right now. Things are clicking into place that you won't notice. Parents only tend to notice the milestones they are looking for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Well my Grandmother said her cousin didn't start talking until he was three.
    Everyone thought he had a huge problem, when he was three he started talking, and as she said, he hasn't quit since.

Every child develops differently. IF you are are really concerned bring it up with his doc the next time you are in. Or call and ask if he can be evaluated.

In the meantime, I wouldn't worry too much.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• my dd staed to walk a lil at around 11 mts but she was reallay clusy so she still crawel most of the time. the day she turn one was when she reallsy stared to walk. she said a few words. like mama.dada,baba and like 2 more. but like the pp said all babies develop differently.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• He actually sounds average, or right on schedule. At least half of babies don't walk until after the 1st birthday, and my pediatrician only expected 1 - 5 words by 12 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Thats how my son was, with the exception of walking... but he was never a big cruiser either, just took more to crawling but he wasn't saying more than dada and mama at 14-15 months and then a couple 1/2 words which we knew what they were -then 19 months he went crazy verbally, I thought the same thing, that other kids seemed so advanced. it could be still how you view him - sometimes I do things for max that I probably should let him attempt or try to do on his own but its like, i still look at him as my baby so it doesn't dawn on me to have him try things
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• All of my kids started walking right around age 1 - your son will probably be walking soon. I would think at 1 it would be really hard to look for developmental milestones, but you should get a good list of them
    http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/devmile.htm
    There's one to try. Make sure as your child grows that he is hitting them at about the right time. If he is not, talk to his ped, and trust your "mommy" instinct. If YOU, as his mom, feel that something is wrong, insist on a developmental evaluation - for your peace of mind if nothing else.

Answer by missanc at 1:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• He sounds fine to me. I have one who had a severe fine motor skill delay, one with moderate speech, fine and gross motor skill delays and one with a severe speech delay.

Based on that, yours sounds on target.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009