Behavioral Issues

Hello. My 17 month old son has resently started hitting himself, pulling his own hair, and hitting his head on the ground when he is throwing a fit. Is this normal? My husband and I do not hit our son or each other and I can 100% say he has never been exposed to hitting anywhere else. I have recently gone back to work full-time and have to leave him with his great grandmother so he doesn't have much social interaction with other children. Could this be a cause of such a behavioral change?? HELP!!!

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 12:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would want to say it's normal but I'm not 100% sure. My son was hitting his head on the ground during every tantrum. It lasted for a couple weeks and then just stopped. I just told him not to do it and protected his head when he did and then eventually it just stopped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I would think it's the terrible twos coming on! He may also be upset because your leaving him now. The best way to handle these tantrums, from my experience, is to ignore them. The child will realize this doesn't get them attention.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• well, I will tell you that my son did this around the same age. he didn't have any changes and I don't hit him either, in my opinion he's expressing his complete full body frustration. We as adults have learned to control our emotions but all they know is that their WHOLE BODY knows they are mad -so my son would and sometimes still does, hit himself, hit his head, hits the floor and he did bang his head on the floor all dramatically for like a month but its been a while since that now -he's only 21 months and just throws himself on the floor - stopped the hitting himself because i didn't pay any attention to it and when i did, I would say NO NO HIT - we do not HIT!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 20, 2009