i posted in pets but not many resonses .......anti-social cat....that was was at the shelter for almost 3 yrs b4 we adopted him...

he doesnt seem to want to socialize with anyone, he hides under the bed most of the time, only comes out to eat and use litter box then its back under the bed. he is for the most part a good cat, very quiet and gentle but also seems skittish, when someone walks into the kitchen while he is eating he will run and hide. i think being in the shelter for so long has some major effects on him. i was hoping for more of a family cat but i am grateful to have saved a life, he would of been put down cause he was labeled un-adoptable. who ever had him last tried cropping his ear and now has problems with that ear and has to have this anti-biotic solution put in his ear once a week probably for the rest of his life considering he has to have since he was brought in in 2006.
do you think the chances are good that he will 'loosen' up a bit? as for now we just let him be

bonnie-jo

Asked by bonnie-jo at 12:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• He may or maynot- You might consider after a few months if he hasnt came around to get another cat-a conpainion for him, and a family cat for you. It sounds to me like this guy needs a forever family- even if that means just having food, water, a little box, and shelter... he may never come around, but its wonderful you choose to save a life, instead of getting a kitten... GOOD FOR YOU!
    Most animal shelters say it takes about a month or so for an animal to get aquainted, however LOTS o animals are at home the second you bring them in. I saved Lilly and Chachi- Lilly was RIGHT at home from the second she walked in, Chachi, he sister, took about a month, and they are the warmest loving family cats one could EVER ask for.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• How long have you had him?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• about a week...so maby too soon to tell yet but just curious to what you guys think
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 12:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Oh, give him more time. It may take as long as a month even. I'm sure he'll loosen up when he realizes that "this place is home and these people aren't going to hurt me."
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• HE WILL PROLLY LOOSEN UP MY CAT NEVER WANTED ANYBODY HOLDING HIM R PET HIM BUT I ALWAYS WAS NICE TO HIM ...AND NOW HE COMES PLAY WITH ME AND RUBS ON MY LEGS....JUST GIVE IT TIME!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• this will make number 3 for cats and wouldnt of adopted him except for the reason that he would of have been put down and my kids fell in love with him immediately while we visited the shelter. i do agree that he does need a forever home so whether he likes it not he stuck with us lol. thanks for everyone's input and i hope he comes out of this and at least makes an occasional appearance when everyone one is up and about. my first 2 made themselves at home as soon as they stepped in the house. my first one adopted us she was a stray and none of the neighbors claimed her and she wouldnt leave the house after she got in. the other we took in after my brother's step daughter kept being mean the poor animal and about killed him
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 2:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009