Do you agree with this quote?

This is an excerpt from a book I am reading. I would like to get other's opinions on it. I found it to be an interesting perspective, even if not entirely accurate.

"Faith and feelings are the warm marrow of evil. Unlike reason, faith and feelings provide no boundary to limit any delusion, any whim. They are a virulent poison, giving the numb illusion of moral sanction to every depravity ever hatched. Faith and feelings are the darkness to reason's light. Reason is the very substance of truth itself. The glory that is life is wholly embraced through reason. In rejecting it, in rejecting reason, one embraces death."

KristiS11384

Asked by KristiS11384 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh, okay it is from the Sword of Truth series, but it still sounds like Dawkins, LOL.

Anyways, no I don't agree with it. I think that we are blessed to have the ability to use both feelings and reason to guide us; it give us balance. While I don't just live my life based on my feelings (feelings are sometimes unreliable) I do believe that life without feelings would be meaningless. And if you didn't have feelings, there would be no such thing as compassion; the world would be MORE evil.

And I think that faith is a result of BOTH reason and feelings (not just feelings).

Good question.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• not entirely but I do know that generally people of faith are more liekly to do more drastic and extreme things in teh name of their faith for instance a church added a couple zeros to a check we wrote comitting check fruad and robbing us of $4500 in the name of "God"... my sister in law also told me she wishes I would just blow my brains out in the name of "God" and the only two men to ever lay their hands on me in a violent manner did it in the name of "God" now I am christian but I do recognize that reason is important as well and I personally choose NOT to blinded by faith
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• That is a very interesting point.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• WHOA, that is pretty insightful.
    Sort of explains the extremists.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I agree somewhat. One needs to have reason in order to keep balance in life and see things clearly, otherwise faith can slip over into extremism.
    AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• DEEP THOUGHTS!! I DON'T ENTIRELY AGREE WITH IT, THERE IS A LOT OF REASON IN THE FAITHFUL ALSO, BUT NOT TO THOSE WHO TAKE THEIR FAITH TO EXTREMES.

Answer by older at 12:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I agree that people should not use their emotions to determine what is "truth" or "right". Just because something feels good does not mean it's truth. Truth is truth whether it effects you negatively or not. Some people think it would be great if there were some entity up there that really cares for us and will allow us to live happily ever after when we die...but it makes no sense and has no proof.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• You know I agree with ya ;D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:53 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Well Cait it is not my quote but I do agree with SOME aspects of it.
    Faith and Feelings WITHOUT reason are certainly potential of dangerous actions.However on the same token when faith and feelings are used in conjunction WITH Reason we can often asses the nature of things better. As Anamcara stated there needs to be a balance. Without that balance comes danger.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Some people try to explain reason with faith. Yikes, scary. I can't type much b/c I'm on the Wii =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009