Found something new to play with!!

My 4yr old has been running around naked lately (potty training). Anyway his hands have found their way to his penis. And he plays with it all day long. I told my hubby and of course he said so what. Which it what I feel to a point. But I don't want him doing it at the dinner table or walking through the living room so to speak. So I asked him if he wanted to sit in his room and watch a movie a play with his pee pee? I'm hoping he will get the idea and do it this way if I keep suggesting it. Btw he did agree and want to go. Should I have handled this differently or do any of you ladies have any ideas???

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is like any other new toy, he will find it boring after a while. But encouraging him to do this while himself can't hurt.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• All boys do this. When you see him doing it around the house, just tell him this is something he can only do in his bedroom, then put him in his room. Not as a punishment, don't act angry. Just take him to his room, and tell him he can only play with his peepee in private, in his room. If he doesn't want to stay in there, let him come out. Then when you see him doing it again, just walk him back to his room and explain this is the only place he can do this. He'll get it, it may take awhile,but just be consistant.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• All boys do this and usually much younger. I simply told mine that it was not appropriate to do in front of others and he needed to do it in private in his room or bathroom. If he would start doing it then I would ask him to stop or go to a private place. He usually stopped, but sometimes went o his room. Don't act angry or upset, just make it all matter of fact. He needs to do this especially if he is intact (not circumsized) and if you are consistent then he will eventually just go to his room on his own when he wants to play with it. I wouldn't associate watching a movie with it though, but that is just me.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:40 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son is almsot 3 and discovered his penis. We were on the beach about 3 months ago when I had taken off swimmy and hadn't gotten to regualr diaper when he wandered over to play with some toys in the sand. I looked over a few moments later and there he was touching himself. I walked over and said. "That is your penis, it belongs to you, and you may touch it...but only inprivate, so hands off right now." his hands come off... and I have not seen him tough himself again. I thought I saw him remove his hands from his lap one time when he was in his room and I walked in... so, hmmmmm maybe he "got it". ?
    SamMom912

Answer by SamMom912 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son isn't old enough to do that yet but my daughter is 3 and she messes with her privet area. I think all kids do it
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I ended up telling him its ok to play with his penis. But to do it in his room
    JrSmOm2005

Answer by JrSmOm2005 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 21, 2009