I'm thinking about adopting a third child.

i have one and I want to birth one more, but I have always wanted 3 and feel like adoption is the way to go. I havent really looked into it yet, just turning it over in my head. Its a big decision. How much do they cost? what are the risks if any? how will it effect my other children? how will it effect my adopted child?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Adoption

• I would suggest that you do a lot of research into all areas of adopting. Domestic, international, and foster care and see what is right for your family. There are risks in each kind of adoption (mother changes her mind, countries closing down adoption avenues, children being reunited with their immediate of extended families), just like there are risks in your own pregnancy and your doctor discussed them with you. You can talk to people on all sides of the triad (adoptees, adoptive parents, and birth mothers) to see what is involved in each type. The cost depends on the route you take. How it affects your other children depends on you and how you educate them about adoption, which is why I suggest that you learn as much as possible ahead of time. How it affects your adopted child, again depends on many things. It's good that you are looking into the future, and of course you may feel differently in the future. Have a good day
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• PS-There are financial costs as well as emotional and physical costs, so weigh them all out thoroughly and carefully.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:59 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The cost is minimal if you foster a child then adopt him/her. Going through the birth parent program is another way to go, but is more expensive & of course a foreign adoption is outrageous amounts of money. The best place to start would be with a local adoption agency, run your questions by them & they can give you more approximate costs/fees as everyone is different. The risks are not knowing what you are getting into, what the adopted child's family history as far as mental health, etc is. You could be potentially getting a ticking time bomb and not know until it's too late. Another risk is the adoption not going through & you've already become emtionally attached, you and your kids. I've adopted 5 kids. 4 are wonderful & I can't imagine my life without them, the 5th one however, I was lied to about his family history & he has major mental & behavior issues. I still love him but honestly I wish I had known about his history
    Kristin21

Answer by Kristin21 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Actually international adoption can be less expensive than a private infant adoption through an agency.

You need to do some research into the various types of adoption and start to narrow down which ones might be right for your family. Then do a lot more research into those specific areas. Join online groups, talk to adoptive parents AND adoptees about their experiences, read books about attachment and bonding. There are risks in every type of adoption, you need to find the type that works best for you.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 6:01 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Touched by Adoption is a great group of positive ladies that would be glad to answer any questions you may have in a private group atmosphere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Aug. 22, 2009