How would one unite a country??

When so many people believe the rich should pay for the needs and desires of those less well-off by mandate of the government, and so many people believe the government has no authority to do any such thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• By saying " I am so sorry America. I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm in way over my head,and my ego only wants to push legislation through that I know isn't good for anyone. But the people who bought the election for me, insist now,since I have to pay the piper. However, for the good of the country, I'm stepping down,and taking Biden, Pelosi, Reid, Boxer,Clinton,and all other wierdoes with me. We will be going to a far off country,never to darken Washington's doorsteps ever again. I'm going to let someone who actually CARES about the country take over. Best wishes to you all. Barack Obama!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I don't think it's as simple as you are attempting to make it. I don't think the rich need to pay for the poor, but I also don't think that whether or not you have money should mandate whether or not you can get care from somewhere other than the ER.

To me, what you are asking falls under more what people see as rights and what they see as priviledges. *I* think health care is a right. I don't think health care is something that you get only if you can afford it.

But not everyone thinks that way, and that is only the beginning of the discussion. How can I talk with someone who thinks that unless we pay for it, we have no right to be seen by someone other than an ER doctor? The divergence of opinion is so great there....

It then comes down to classism. How do you bridge that gap?

LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:54 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• As well, how to talk to someone who sees this merely as an op to bash Obama? Or was that the point of the question?
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Well, if he was'nt just SCREAMING to be bashed,it might be a little different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I really don't think untied we stand.....existsanymore.......by what I see being said and done.....I see a seriously divided country......divided we fall.....just because no one wants to meet in the middle of their views.....

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 1:14 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The ONLY way to get our country united again is to get rid of bo and his dem congress!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We've been divided since 9/11...nothing's going to change that
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• But it would help if we had a more middle of the road president. Obama is wayyy left field, and McCain would have been way too conservative. Bush REALLY mucked it up much more than Obama ever will, and McCain voted with him what, 90, 95 percent of the time? Another 4-8 years of that would have been a disaster...and with Palin replacing Cheney? I can't believe people are bashing Obama when they look at the alternative.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 1:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Some things really DO work better than others. There really ARE business practices, political policies and personal choices which are constructive, and it really is true that ignoring them is destructive ... in our country we have been educating our children for years that there is no right/wrong, good/bad behavior ... that there are no virtues which bring success & clarity, or vices which bring failure & confusion.

This is obvious in the physical world - plants wither or die when cared for wrongly ... a chemical product does not WORK if you don't follow the correct principles. ... Events the world over, and throughout recorded history show the value of certain social & personal principles over others.

Historians show that Rome fell when its morals fell.

If we would admit that it is NOT "all relative", then we could start to unite for prosperity. And prosperity helps even the poor. ... a rising tide raises all ships
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:10 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Another major terrorist attack, but of course it would probably be blamed on conservatives and end up starting an out and out civil war. It wouldn't surprise me.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009