has anyone else questioned what love is?

I do this with everyone my parents, SO I used to do it with my kids and now I know that I love my kids, but I get so much anxiety from this and when people say that you know in your heart it gives me so much anxiety because i feel like I never feel anything. Can anyone else relate??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't think love has to be a feeling. It can just "be". If it works, it's good. If not then it's probably not love. So many ppl confuse love with other things like lust, obsession, control. When those things go away then what's left? I am guessing nothing is left so it wasn't based on love. Find your personal joy in life then imo, you will find the love you seek from others. Be love and it will attract love. OMG that sounded so sappy...so 60's...so hippy. LOL But it is truth imo. I'm reading a book now called Only Love is Real and it's NOT a feeling according to the book

Answer by admckenzie at 1:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If your kids, family or significant other were in the hospital would you care for them? If they were in trouble and needed your help would you help? Do you make sure that their emotional and physical needs are met? Do you worry when they are away and you haven't heard from them? Do you have concerns for them when they are crying or sad? If you can answer yes to these questions, then that means you have love in your heart for these people. Love is not necessarily a feeling. When you love people that means that you are there for them and you do what you need to do when they are in need of you. You don't have to "feel" anything necessarily. If you feel concern about this, I would suggest getting some counseling.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I think lowencope has it all together. I have never really sat down and defined the meaning of love. I can honestly say that what I had for my daughters father was an infatuation that turned into love, but even in the end I had no feelings for him in a loving manor besides maybe an aquantense. My DH today I can honestly say that I love him, and it always isn't a feeling. I just know that I love him. I dont' necessarily feel it in my heart always, but it is a knowing. I know that I can let him go for his own happiness, I know with every thing lowencope said I feel that for my children, my DH, and my close friends and family. Compared to the care that i have for people I don't love. Hope this makes some sort of sense
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 1:48 PM on Aug. 20, 2009