Would it be wrong to "disown" my mother?

My mother and I have had a rough relationship. My dad passed away when I was 1 year old and she has been with several guys since then. But the guy she is with now she has been with for 10 years not. When I was growing up he would be the s--t out of me and she would just sit back and watch. He abused my 2 brothers also so she gave them to their dad's. I didnt have anywhere to go so I was stuck. He never left bruises so I never had proof of the abuse. When I was in high school he pushed my boyfriend (now my hubby) up against his car and was telling him never to come on his property again or he'd kill him all because he brought my medicine home to me. I was having heart problems and had to have the medicine w me at all times. I got pregnant my sr year in hs and disappointed my mom. She doesnt want anything to do w me or my kids except for when she needs something. Would it be wrong to disown her?

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 1:06 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in About CafeMom

• um. no. i would of disowned her a long time ago.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:37 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• no it's not wrong to disown her.
    but she does need an eye opener
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• On top of everything my husband quit working for her boyfriend last November so that has made everything that much worse. We dont get invited to family functions anymore and my mom rarely talks to me anymore.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 1:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• no way i would have disowned her a long time ago as well.. my birth father used to beat the crap out of my mom and my step mom in front of us kids, and i have not talked to him in 15 years. he is in prision and was about to get out on parol this past may i freaked out cause i have children and i was afraid he would come looking for me and wanting to meet my children.. but thankfully they kept him in for another 3 years..wooray someone was listening to my prayers.. lol honestly it whatever you think is in the best interest of YOUR family.. if it was me i would disown completely, not even give her your number or contact info cause if all she wants to do is contact you when she needs something she is not worth it.
    BUDDHASBABY1

Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Your mother was and enabler and part of the abuse you faced. I know it's hard to let your mom or someone in the family go to the wolves, but you don't need that kind of influence in your life or the lives of your children. Let friends become your new family...there's also a saying that You don't choose your family but you do choose your friends. I hope you have many!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 1:45 AM on Aug. 23, 2009