Consipation....SOOOOOOO frustrated with drs...

My daughter is 19 months now and has had constipation since she was 6 months old. .. Im getting so frsutrated with drs telling me they have nothing to help her.. i hate seeing her in so much pain... what gives....i tried "miralax" which he dr told me to do and it worked great for 3 months and now it dont..I tried prune juice she wont touch it....i tried baby latax.....please help me

nesamama

Asked by nesamama at 1:08 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• less dairy, my DD get blocked every time she had cheese
    apple juice is ok, add water
    i used the gel stick up her butt a few times
    my DD did not touch prune juice either
    no bananas-they are constipating (which was news to me)

maybe think of changing docs
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have had the same same same problem with my son - except his was from birth.. the mirelax stopped working for him too! it was great at first. I recently found something at Target ( if you have that store ) I can not remember the name of it but you can email me if you want me to look at home and tell you tomorrow - I found it right by the baby laxative area ( which I won't give my son ) it said it was safe for infants also - it didn't really even say anything about being for stooling - it said for "tummy troubles" which was also always my son's issues - its only been a week and its like this powder I just put on his food - tasteless- OMG - so far, so good - i've been to numerous Ped's too - they are basically waiting for him to grow out of it, but I know he can spend 3 to 4 days to get out a little rabbit pellet.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son has had those issues since he was a month old off and on. I did watered down apple juice for a while. Now that's he's older i give him a high fiber breakfast such as frosted mini wheats or oatmeal with a fruit...plums, nectarines, oranges, grapes, peaches, and watermelon. The fruit is high in fiber too and will help. Cut down on dairy...and mabye try soy milk instead of cows milk...it's easier to digest. If you give them apple juice or apple sauce it works for a while but then starts to plug them up....avoid anything on the BRAT diet (thats what you use when they have diareah_ Bannanas Rice Apple Sauce and Toast.)
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 1:51 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• When my girls are constipated or they hurt down in thier V area we give them cranberry juice and that makes them all better after a couple of days. I hope I helped
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Have you asked you doctor about Enulose?? It worked wonderfully for my son and it doesn't taste bad either so that helps too. I hope you find someting to relieve you littlt one. Maybe you can switch to another pediatritian?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My daughter's constipation started at about 7 months old. I tried the Miralax off and on and it seemed to help some of the time. I hated the thought of her having to be on medicine all the time. I took a good hard look at what I was feeding her. I wrote down how much milk and fiber she was getting. A lack of fiber and too much milk and milk products (yogurt, cheese) will cause constipation. I cut back on her milk; she really only needs about 16 oz per day and reduced the cheese she was eating. I also increased her fiber. I bought double fiber whole grain bread and anything that was fortified with extra fiber. In order to digest extra fiber, they need plenty of water. I made sure she had water all the time and milk only at meals. For a while I eliminated cheese and bananas and applesauce, but gradually added them back in. The constipation cleared up. She has regular BM 1-2 times per day. She is 21 months old. Good Luck!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 2:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• A probiotic may help as well. They are very good for you!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I don't know why pedi's recommend Miralax for kids. It is NOT for pediatric use, even Miralax says so. It can cause all kinds of problems. It can cause autistic symptoms, verbal regression, among other issues. Google it, and I'd bet you'd never use it on your child again. Sorry I wasn't any help with the original question, but I wanted to make those of you using Miralax aware of this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• yogurt with fiber, pears or pear juice no bananas prunes prune juice , papaya clears your out really really well ! oatmeal anything super high fiber !alot of water and apple juiceI cant think of anything else at the moment but if i do i'll repost later!
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 4:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2009