he is out of control!!!

i took my son (who is 2 1/2) with me to visit my cousins and aunt in the city the other day. he was fine when we got there, then he got comfortable with everyone and was just out of control!! he was throwing pillows at everyone, jumping on people and not listening to a word i say! i had to put him in time out probably 5 times.. and right after i let him get out of time out he would go right back to being a monster! he is only like this around people he doesn't know too well, kind of like he's showing off or something. how am i supposed to deal with this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I kind of had the same problem w/ my own son, and still do from time to time. I could take him anywhere and he would be so well behaved, then we would go to FIL house and he was a little tyrant. To this day I'm still not sure why, b/c we were over there all the time. It took a lot of no's and a lot of time outs, and a little bit of spanking to finally get him to calm down. But, I think what helped the most was FIL. He's got a deep voice, and even when he's talking calmly he would scare the hell out of my son. So, I think it was more FIL, than me or DH, that got him to calm down. Kids always listen to other people better than their parents. Wish I could have been more help, good luck
    ravensgirl83

Answer by ravensgirl83 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Personally i would have just left after 2 time outs. WIth my children, it they are misbehaving anywhere, even in the middle of grocery shopping, i leave if it is that bad. Try telling him next time you visit he wont be able to go if he doesn't listen!! Sounds like he was showing off for the family though. Maybe in time he will learn if he acts out, you have to leave the fun and that may stop the behavior. I know it sucks for you, but that is what has worked for me and my boys. You could try taking away privilages or fun time. Whatever workd with him is the key since every child is different. Consistancy and meaning NO whenevery you say it and not giving in is imp. also. I hope you don't take offense to any of this. They are just suggestions. Hope things get better for you:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• i really wish i could have left that situation but i couldn't. we were an hour from home and i wasn't the one driving.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2009