Another question for Wiccans (spin-off from a previous question)

If a spell is similar to prayer and is not what you would consider a "cure all", then why no just say a prayer or concentrate on something that you want to happen rather than have to have a special ingredient or follow a recipe to cast a spell? I definately believe in what you commit your thought and energy toward, you can make happen. You can do things to help like having vision boards, meditation, prayer, focus, etc. I guess I just wonder why you must have special ingredients and do things in a specific order to make things happen. Is it the ingredient & ritual or the energy waves you are transmitting out to the universe that make it work? I really appreciate all of your answers :)

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 1:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Every Witch is different.
    I do not use "special" ingredients, but certain things (certain scents in incense) candle colors, etc, can A) help draw a specific diety, that you may need their help with something.
    B) can help that specific Witch focus in on what they want.

I look at it like this, do you really need bread and wine for communion at a church?
    No they use wafers/grapejuice etc, but it does the same thing for those of that belief.

Sorry, maybe I am making this more complex than it needs to be. I am sleepy and I tend to babble a little bit when I am tired.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I don't like the comparison of spells to prayers myself, I think there is a fundamental difference that makes it like "comparing apples to oranges". However there are a few things that can answer your question. First of all the ritual helps you concentrate your energy, this can be compared to chanting or repeating the same prayer over & over again. Secondly, many people believe that all things of this Earth have their own energy, so the energy of the various "ingredients" can add to the power of your thought or intent. That is why people compile lists of correspondences, it is a catalog of what things carry what energies. Thus doing more than praying or concentrating is helpful.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• When people ask me "doesn't a spell just work or not work?" I try to explain my understanding of how things work in this way. Imagine that what is happening in our lives is flowing water. If we want to change what is happening we manipulate that water, perhaps building a damn. The spell is the damn. If the flow doesn't have a lot of energy behind it, a simple damn will work. If it is a fast moving, crashing torrent I simply can't build a damn strong enough or fast enough to change the flow. Also, like when you damn up water, that changes things & what is around that river influences what will happen to the water next. As a human we can't always see all of what is around the water, so we can't always accurately predict what the results of our damn will be. It isn't simply making something happen or asking someone to change something.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am more inclined to feel that that are different, IMO one is supplication before a Diety, the other is merely intentionally interacting with one's environment that may or may not include the presence/request of a Diety or Dieties. For the sake of argument if they are the same there would no reason to do anything differently. It's the same as asking someone who prays "Why ask God for what you can help manifest yourself?" There isn't anything inherently wrong with either approach but, neither is the "only way" nor are they, IMO, mutually exclusive.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:17 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• *yawn*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The ingredients and or items used durring a spell are simply there to help your subconcious focus and or to aid in the carry through. Many witches do simply "pray" after lighting a candle, a spell can be that easy. But the more thought and action you put in to it the strongger your focus and intent and thus the stronger the end result.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We all practice in different ways to achieve our goals... some use all of the tools of the trade, some use a few and some use none at all... I can do both... with and without the tools of the trade of a Witch... tho I rather use some tools such as incenses, candles and my herbs and cauldron to help bring about the energies I need to assure that the spell has taken...
    Directing energy doesn't come as easy as it may sound so many use other items such as herbs etc... to bring on a more intent focus on their casting...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Do you have a problem with the word "spell" or "witchcraft"? it seems like it has such a bad stigma attached to it by so many people. It sounds like more of a spiritual experience to me. Many people light candles when they pray or meditate. It seems like we are all working with the same universal force, but we all call it something different. Thanks for your answers ladies.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Nice anon, real nice.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Do you have a problem with the word "spell" or "witchcraft"?

No! Not at all! I proudly call myself a witch! I openly admit to casting spells. While I am not Wiccan, I am Pagan, and very open and proud of that fact! I know that many aspect of my beliefs have been portrayed as "evil" or "demonistic" by scared or mis-informed people... That by no means lessens my pride in what and who I am! It simply means I need to be more understanding and patient with those that don't understand and help them to see the good behind my beliefs!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009