trying to buy a house what do i look for before purchase?

we are looking at a home today and im not sure if i have my list complete for things to look for do you know of any... like the roof, foundation, windows ect...

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 2:13 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Look at the hot water heater (if it has one), the HVAC unit (again if it has one). Depending on the age of the house don't be afraid of SOME cracks and visible seams. Houses are going to settle. I can't tell you which cracks to be scared of and which ones not to be scared of. Look around the neighborhood. Travel the street different times of day to get a feel for the neighbors and their activities. We drove by our house during the mornings, noons, early evenings and night. Also, look at the what is in the area. Are there any airports, race tracks,interstates or fire/police/ems stations around? Are these noises you will be able to live with?
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• AMP box, how much energy it's using. Wiring. Plumbing lines under sinks. Make sure there are grounded outlets in the bathrooms and in the kitchen. Ask about the paint in the house - depending on the age of the home you have to worry about lead paint. The last time the roof was replaced. The siding. If it has a basement, as about waterproofing/leaks. Check for sagging in the roof line.

Look at how close the trees are to the home. Ask about the waste management - septic tank or not. Look at the grading of the property and whether water flows away from the home of settles against the foundation. If it has brick on the outside, if the brick is in line with the windows (flush, same depth) it is a veneer. If the windows are set back from the brick, it is likely that it's real.

If you like the home, be prepared to pay for inspection. A little money now could save you thousands later.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Look for water marks on all the ceilings, brown spots or rings, it means somethings leaking, or has leaked. Make sure you don't have galvanized plumbing (black tarred looking pipes), Look at the roofing tiles. Is there spots of wear, are the tiles curled up, or bubbling underneath? Look at the bottom of the gutters. If you see pieces of roof "sand" at the bottom of the gutters, the roof is wearing down. Check all windows for condensation, drafts, make sure they open, close, and when theyre open there's no gap between the screen and window (bugs) and look at screens. If it's masonary (brick) look for jagged lines in between bricks (foundation problem). If there's a basement, there's a huge wood or metal brace smack in the middle holding the house up, make sure there's no huge cracks, rust, or anything that looks unnatural. Check floors for weak spots, try to put a nail through a wall (checking quality of plaster/ drywall)...
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Make sure all the doors line up, and look at all the plumbing under sinks and when flushing toilets. Turn water sources on and look at pipes. Check furnace and the filter (if filter isnt clean, then ducts are probably worse) especially if the filter look charred and brown. Look for gas/electric hookups for stove and dryer, and washer. Make sure theres a laundry tub, and a dryer vent that goes outside. If there are glass block windows in the basement, make sure at least two of the windows open. Check wiring, turn on light switches, and GET AN INSPECTOR!!!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:50 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• depends on what you are looking for. only a trained eye from an inspector can spot real troublesome spots.
    first i would consider location and the school system then the tax appraisal then the neighbors. consider all the things about the house you CANNOT change. now is the time to consider how and if that house will ever resell well.
    look for obvious signs of previous termite treatments, fire damage, water or moisture damage. the biggest problem i have with a house is whether or not the previous owners did remodeling themselves, more than likely if they did THAT is where all your new problems will come from.
    look at the house when it is raining hard and watch where the water goes and wait and watch where the water holds.
    smell the house, if the house is covered up with air fresheners or carpet fresh they are hiding something like water or animal stank
    also look at door and window frames for previous breakins
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:18 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I just sold my house in six days and I sanded the floor and fixed all the plumbing problems.I told the second buyer,I would paint the whole house before selling it to her.She said no.Leave it like it is.I will do it myself.As for the stupid lets put a nail through the wall that is crazy are you high or something.It is not your home to go and destroy it.I would have never let you put a nail through the wall.You haven't even passed the credit or anything.You are putting a nail through the wall that is destroying property you can't do that.You can inspect the bathroom,the floor,open doors ,open and close doors windows.You can hire an inspector that is after you are approved for the house,not before.Like my house started the bid at $329,000 and I had six offers.My real estate agent ended up selling our house for $169,000 so the bidding can go up.,instead of down.Why don't you have a real estate agent or broker taking you around?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I meant to say $369,000
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Aug. 21, 2009