Normal for an 8 week old??

My 8 week old son fights sleep like you wouldn't believe!! He shakes his head, swings his arms and marches those little legs just to stay awake- and it works most of the time. I've tried swaddling and he gets very irritated because he can't stretch (he's a SUPER stretcher even while sleeping). He doesn't usually take a pacifier, but when he does and he starts dozing off, he'll spit it out and wake up! We've done music, singing, talking, repetitive sounds and pats...nothing seems to work. He just eventually tuckers himself out fussing and wiggling. Any advice moms??

OhBaby1467

Asked by OhBaby1467 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• vibrating chair/sling back chair thing
    swing when he has good head control

both S/O and I were too excited when DD was big anough for swing
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Oh MY - I had his older brother! I still can't get mine to sleep! he's 21 months and still everynight, after 13 months of letting him cry it out - he STILL crys it out - hates to nap, the crib so far is the only thing that is keeping him in bed= i dread toddler time - Is your little one crying or upset alot? Or just for the sleeping? I found even though my son didn't like the swaddle, it was the only way to get him to sleep, in fact we got one that looked like a baby straight jacket so we could make it extra tight, he got pissed every time we wrapped him in it but it was the only thing that finally made him give up and go to sleep - then we'd lay him in a portable swing that was close to the floor...ugh...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• my DD has been fighting sleep since she was a few weeks old
    she is gonna be 6 months on the 28th and she still fights it so i make sure she is not hungry or needs to be changed
    then i give her her binky
    and if she still is crying
    i let her cry for 20 mins then i go into the room and tell her its bed time
    and she is ok and that i love her
    i only have to do that once then i leave and she falls a sleep
    but sometimes i have to rock her to sleep or put music on
    for her
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We have a vibrating bouncer chair that he just tolerates every once in a while. He likes to be held ALL the time and will scream if he's put down too long. If he's laying down and not crying, I just leave him to entertain himself and talk to the ceiling fan (!) or I'll lay with him and encourage him to talk and "exercise." We're waiting on a swing at the moment and I'm hoping it'll be a god-send! We're putting our house up for sale and I need this little guy to take a nap every once in a while!!!
    OhBaby1467

Answer by OhBaby1467 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Maxsmom-the only time he cries and is upset is usually when we don't hold him. We'll let him play on a floor mat, or in his crib (supervised with a crinkle toy...he likes the sound), but he'll get bored easily, I guess and start fussing. We make sure he's not hungry, that he's changed and that nothing else is wrong that we can see before letting him cry for a few minutes. Never fails, though, as soon as we pick him up, he's done fussing (unless he's fighting sleep). It's a little nerve-racking but at his age, I can't just let him cry for an hour. He obviously needs something!

We also try to give him belly time just for a change of pace...his back must get tired of being laid on all the time! I'll lay him on my chest and pat his back, talk & sing to him to relax him, which worked until he found he can use his mouth to stay awake! He'll give my chest hickeys or he'll suck on his arms and hands.
    OhBaby1467

Answer by OhBaby1467 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• is he still on mixed days and nights? how long does he sleep?
    Sorry mommy, I wish I had advice but if it makes you feel better, my son had uncalmable colic at this age so things could always be worse lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• get a swing!!!!!!!! im telling you. its a life saver.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• my 8 week old does the same thing. I put him in a swing or give him a pacifier and rock him. It helps
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I put mine on their tummy and they went right to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Aug. 20, 2009