good house rules??

doews any one have good house rules to set for a 4 and a 2 year old and how to go about doing so????

id like to have a clean house fingers off walls .. toys off the floor when they arent using them and playing nice , hygene and bedtime... hellpp!!!

mommak2237

Asked by mommak2237 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know about the clean house, fingers off the walls part, but the rest - my boys are 1 1/2 and 2 1/2, they know if they bring toys out of their room they take them back before they bring something else out. We try to clean up their room every night before they go to bed but that doesn't always happen. But as long as most of the mess is in their room, I don't mind. My boys will fight over toys, it is more the one has one that the other wants and takes it. I have found if I get them to stop yelling at each other and ask for it back nicely the other just gives it back. I don't know what you mean for rules for hygene, we just have the routine of brushing teeth when the wake up and before bed, baths every other night unless they are really dirty. We keep food in the dining room and kitchen, that cuts back on the mess. You just need to decide how you want things and be consistent, they will catch on eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Try to keep the rules list as short as possible. Try to come up with general rules that fit a lot of different situations - for instance "Pick up after yourself" can apply to toys, clearing table, clothes, etc. My suggestion is to make a list of all the things that are issues now or will likely be issues in the future. Then, group all the ones that boil down to basically the same thing together and make ONE rule that applies to all those situations. Once you have decided on the rules (no more than ten - 10 commandments is a good example), make a poster listing the rules and determine what the consequences will be for breaking the rules.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Make everything you see as a chore into a game with a song. They will do it in a heartbeat.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 20, 2009