Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I file for back child support owed?

Can I file for back child support owed? Or would I have to go through a lawyer and sue for it?

Answer Question

Asked by anna3686 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • The rules are different in different states. In California I could ask for back child support through the county as my husband's child support payments were garnished from his wages. They would do a check on his finances basically at any time if I wanted to have the child support raised. Look online for your county clerks office, you may be able to find the information you need to file for back support there. You also may be able to find a lawyer who will help you and get the court to make your ex pay your lawyer and court fees since you had to fight to get the money.

    Good luck!!

    Answer by ohwrite at 2:33 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

  • I saw on your page that your location was Jersey so I found this site that might be helpful.

    Answer by Tia07 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.