Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a mom continue being a SAHM if she gets child support?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • My child support usually pays my bills, when the exs are My kids are more than taken care of, and if the exs arent paying, of course I pick up the slack in one way or another. As long as your bills are paid, your kids lack nothing, then I dont see a problem in it. BUT, if you cant pay your house bills, then it wont work. It helps, on my end, that our house is paid for, so i dont have a mortgage payment. If I did have to make a house payment it would never happen, Id have to work, along with getting CS

    Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:49 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

  • Huh? I would think that would make being a SAHM even easier.

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

  • I'm guessing after the divorce you will get alimony and child support. But I would think that you would start looking for a job since your husband is not with you. Does this help to answer your question?

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

  • There's no law against it. I personally think it's morally reprehensible unless you have income from another source.

    Your ex-husband isn't responsible for paying for YOUR living costs, just for HALF of his children's. If you don't pony up your half, that means that you're not responsible for financially supporting yourself or your children. To me, that's wrong.

    Answer by Avarah at 2:31 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

  • i agree, i feel that is wrong, its like your cheating the system.. i have a friend that i would love to get busted cause she is not working, has child support, wic, food stamps, ccap, medicade, college tuition money that she does not even use towards her college. also gets living expense from her college an she is not even living on campus.. and she is living with a man who owns his own house and she is not paying for anything, and she lies to the government every month saying she still lives at this old apartment she is not even in anymore just so she can get her $500 a month child support, $500 a month food stamps, medicade, wic a whole bunch of free college money and another child support for a child that doesnt even live with her.. its ridiculous. she is just free loading and cheating the system.

    Answer by BUDDHASBABY1 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

  • I guess it depends on how much the child support is and if it covers all the expenses.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

  • Well I guess it would depend on how much the child support was- and if it did pay for everything (food, rent, utilities.... whatever) and if the dad was ok with his money supporting you as well as the child/ren. Ideally you should get a job and use your money to support yourself, and your half of the child/rens expenses.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Aug. 20, 2009